BR: Transparency Bug? [FIXED ATM]

sjoens

No clue what's causing this. Normally CbB honors transparent objects, but sometimes it forgets to.

Of note is the Track View Time Ruler Now Time Marker. There looks like a solid black mask behind it in the shape of the default marker that can appear at will.

Default:                                                              Repainted:

Playback.png.07193619a8a0aa5287f252eb2166d16e.png     236912275_transparencybug.png.8e57ec5e5a8b66effc2cd34fb6546b7b.png

The Black area should be transparent, and for months it was. For no reason, today the mask refuses to go away in spite repeated app reloads and system reboots.

Edited by sjoens

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

For no reason, today the mask refuses to go away

Just a thought... Was it since you changed any settings to try to figure out what was causing the 'Forum Site Map Issue' you posted about?

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

There looks like a solid black mask behind it in the shape of the default marker that can appear at will.

Default:                                                              Repainted:

Playback.png.07193619a8a0aa5287f252eb2166d16e.png     236912275_transparencybug.png.8e57ec5e5a8b66effc2cd34fb6546b7b.png

Are you saying just the green play icon should be showing with nothing around it? I sometimes see the transparency get blacked out briefly on this icon when saving a project, but it displays as a rectangle like the base the image is drawn on (as shown in the image below) so the transparent chequered area is blacked out also , this would suggest some transparency is being honoured on yours but if it's displaying different to what you usually see using the same Theme then I have no idea unless it's due to a change you made trying to figure the 'Forum Site Map Issue'. 

Untitled.png.9008be024fd323a17b6cc2d471a39035.png

11 hours ago, Matthew White said:

Was it since you changed any settings to try to figure out what was causing the 'Forum Site Map Issue'

Yes. But I revisited those settings to rectify this issue... to no avail. Transparency as a whole is fine, only this particular image is affected ATM.

11 hours ago, Matthew White said:

Are you saying just the green play icon should be showing with nothing around it?

Yes. I made the rest of the image transparent. The transparent area in the default image you posted (above) is transparent in both images, so the "mask" is interfering with the remaining transparent area of my image.

FWIW I noticed this same issue in SPlat years ago but forgot about it with CbB as it never came up until now.

Setting or glitch? It's not a big deal but annoying to say the least as it's visually ruining several themes.

For kicks, anyone care to make one of their Now Markers 100% transparent in a test theme to verify if replicable?

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

Yes. Not all images have or honor transparency within CbB. But those that do, should. This is just a weird case of one image that did and now doesn't.

Still curious if anyone else can replicate it with Now Markers. Then I'll know if it's personal... or something I did. 9_9

11 hours ago, sjoens said:
22 hours ago, Matthew White said:

Was it since you changed any settings to try to figure out what was causing the 'Forum Site Map Issue'

Yes. But I revisited those settings to rectify this issue... to no avail. Transparency as a whole is fine, only this particular image is affected ATM.

Ah OK, was just a thought.

11 hours ago, sjoens said:

For kicks, anyone care to make one of their Now Markers 100% transparent in a test theme to verify if replicable?

Just tried this and I'm not seeing the issue here, I tried leaving just the Play, Stop etc icons and also making them completely blank.

Untitled.png.f739730a60416eff477214f18fd626f7.png

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've encountered multiple objects that go black when I make them transparent.

One I've noticed so far is the 'Scroll Bar Zoom Icons' as I usually make the corners transparent, as soon as I save the Theme then open the icons in paint.net the corners are filled in completely black. 🤷‍♂️

Untitled2.png.35a7e962788f84bf4c7c0edf7767ac1b.png

Edited by Matthew White
Added Image

1 hour ago, Matthew White said:

Just tried this and I'm not seeing the issue here, I tried leaving just the Play, Stop etc icons and also making them completely blank.

As I thought. So it is personal! 😠 Thanks for looking into it.

I just installed the latest CbB update thinking it might be buggy code but no change. As I type this my animated gif avatar is flashing, so maybe the graphic card is going dodo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew White said:

One I've noticed so far is the 'Scroll Bar Zoom Icons' as I usually make the corners transparent...

I believe that's normal for BMPs as they don't support transparency w/o a coded color set within the .exe.

Some BMPs like the wide Console Separator were converted to PNG for Theme Editor and now support transparency.

• Like 1

I meant to say they can support transparency, but not as easily as PNGs or JPGs. Even so , not all CbB views support it.

Before the X series, Sonar GUI was all BMP and transparency was accomplished with masking images or a specific color like magenta: xyz_bmp.png.6cee636986aae2157bc82a4f7bdb99a3.png, and then only if internal coding allowed it. PNGs have an alpha channel built in for transparency.

Check out most of Cakewalk's VST Resource folders where you can see examples of BMP transparency masking. Interesting they've always made these GUIs openly changeable but not the main program.

Transparency is good! :D

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1