Absynth is Over?

jim137

2 hours ago, antler said:

Maybe it's for the best - an alternative is that they spread themselves a bit too thin, cracks start appearing in other products, profits drop, meaning even less resource to go round.

Yeah, we wouldn't want them to spread their resources so thin that their flagship synthesizer ships 8 months late and without a functional browser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, antler said:

There are two more additional things to consider:

Another that I can think of is that most of the (wonderful, actually) freebies that NI already do give out seem designed to whet the user's appetite for paid products.

An NI freebie of that magnitude should lead them to want to buy the full version of Kontakt, Reaktor synths, Guitar Rig models, etc.

What's the upgrade path from a no-longer-developed synth?

I think the deal with the lack of work on the fancy Cakewalk plug-ins (such as synths and LP EQ's) is that the only people I've seen on the forum or elsewhere who are interested are people who already use Cakewalk (or did until 5 years ago).

I first heard of the demise of NI's version of Absynth 5 from PluginGuru. Hopefully, Brian will update it to v6 and release it himself. Skippy has updated his Absynth 5 Power Pack for Unify (which is WONDERFUL). I didn't install Absynth 5 (from Komplete 9 Ultimate; haven't updated since; just purchased a Kontakt 6 update separately), but I'm going to install it now and purchase the updated Power Pack ($20 vs. $39 October 1st).

Here's Skippy's statement on the update:

Special $20 Price for this library until October 1st!

Library now includes all 149 Patches in Unify format. NOTE: for some reason pitch bend down causes Absynth 5 volume to go away. I’ve confirmed both the plug-in in Logic Pro X and in Unify do this. We can’t fix this because it’s an issue in Absynth 5. Please be aware of this problem and don’t use the Pitch Bend wheel (ironically a few patches DON’T have this problem, but the majority do).

Absynth Mind Melt – a bonus library by John Lehmkuhl and Brian Clevenger also included (this library has not been Unified).

If you have played thru the patches in Absynth 5, you will quickly notice it was voiced very heavily as an “out there” synth with spacey patches that are more useful as added sprinkles on top of a production.  My goal was to re-invent Absynth 5 into a thundering virtual synth capable of epic bassline wobbles, ferocious synth leads, wild FX, twisted vocalisers, incredible pads and more.  So in this library, I worked hard at turning Absynth 5 into an unstoppable main-room monster! This is still one of my favorite libraries ever because of how it transforms Absynth into a powerful synthesizer for ALL SORTS of musical jobs in many different genres.

Listen to the audio demos, watch the patch walkthru video (and the MANY other support videos including an interview with Absynth creator, Brian Clevenger!) and you will see that Absynth 5 is no slouch for any type of music production.

Absynth 5 Power Pack from PluginGuru

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1