Absynth is Over?

jim137

31 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I guess it was too much work and not enough incentive to keep working on it?

If you watch the video he says he offer to update it for NI.

I suspect NI have moved in a different direction and are trying to streamline what they are doing....they don't want to keep updating a massive product line.

Considering the new libraries, NI is clearly more heavily pursuing younger musicians playing more current genres as opposed to the dad rock and older genre folks like many of us here (me included).  I was an Absynth fan from day one,  but frankly,  I haven't used it in a long time. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Considering the new libraries, NI is clearly more heavily pursuing younger musicians playing more current genres as opposed to the dad rock and older genre folks like many of us here (me included).  I was an Absynth fan from day one,  but frankly,  I haven't used it in a long time. 

True. Ni could have kept it relevant by adding more standard FX to make working with Absynth a little easier, while still taking advantage of all those great envelopes. On the plus side, this probably means we'll see a price slash for those who don't own it. If you add plugin guru's sound-sets, you'll have some fairly modern patches to keep it relevant for a while longer.

This was shared in the Komplete 14 thread, adding it here in case it was missed...

Edit: I just realized that the text link to this video was in the OP, but it wasn't obvious to me that link was for Brian's video. Oops!

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Considering the new libraries, NI is clearly more heavily pursuing younger musicians playing more current genres as opposed to the dad rock and older genre folks like many of us here (me included)

Could also be that the younger generation that they're targeting is more into instant gratification, rather than patch building

22 minutes ago, abacab said:

This was shared in the Komplete 14 thread, adding it here in case it was missed...

Edit: I just realized that the text link to this video was in the OP, but it wasn't obvious to me that link was for Brian's video. Oops!

Great share, Abacab. That's so cool. I love learning about the developers behind the instruments I use. I didn't even know that Absynth wasn't developed by NI in-house. Cool, now Brian Clevinger is on my developers to watch list, I'm going to check out his company and take a look at his other synths. He seems very likeable and I'm a long time fan of Absynth. To quote Elton John out of context, Absynth is "weird and wonderful." 

Edited by PavlovsCat

20 minutes ago, antler said:

Could also be that the younger generation that they're targeting is more into instant gratification, rather than patch building

By the appearance of the new Komplete "instruments" I agree with that statement. Not judging, but ease of sound selection for defined musical styles seems to be the priority for NI now. It is what it is, and that's the direction that the market appears to be headed in ...

Edited by abacab
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, abacab said:

By the appearance of the new Komplete "instruments" I agree with that statement. Not judging, but ease of sound selection for defined musical styles seems to be the priority for NI now. It is what it is, and that's the direction that the market appears to be headed in ...

It's all cool. Easy-to-use and inspiration have their places too.

And for the rest of the time, there'll always be PhasePlant, Avenger, F'em, Hyperion, Biotek, Iris, and more...

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

24 minutes ago, antler said:

It's all cool. Easy-to-use and inspiration have their places too.

And for the rest of the time, there'll always be PhasePlant, Avenger, F'em, Hyperion, Biotek, Iris, and more...

And the Dawesome ones, Abyss and Novum. 

16 minutes ago, antler said:

I hear you, as I have several of those synths and many others. I think Phase Plant is my newest on that list.

From time time to time I have to remove some synths from my system that haven't been used in a long time and/or are redundant to my favorite ones. All in the interest of focus and space.

But my basis is usually first asking if a synth is really unique in some way, and if I still feel that it inspires me. If it is, it usually stays on-board. Absynth is one of the keepers! :)

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Anyone else record an album in the early 2000's using a demo of Absynth, which would generously let you record up to 25 seconds of audio? Creating endless cool clips to use?

Just me? I milked that free demo horse to death.

I purchased it later on so I could sleep at night. And still use it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3