Purpose of the Song Forum!

mcmd

....wondering if there shouldn't be some Song sub-forums;

'Show-off"  forum ....not looking for critique or feedback.....just validation.. love me! ...here's my web page, facebook  or you tube link! ..give me likes!🙂 ❤️

"Help me'  forum.. .I clearly have no idea ... what are I doing wrong... basic ...obvious...novice issues ...most everyone can help here....timing, clipping, total mud....

"intermediate experience' - got the basics but can't transcend to the 'next'level...song composition and arrangement seem OK, still some mud and no shine...I bought more plugins... nothing helps helps!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

Maybe even a sub-forum for when you are seeking serious, fair and constructive but very tough criticism - "The Gauntlet" or something...here, take this creative vessel into which I have poured weeks of blood and sweat, and find every single flaw imaginable, right down to the subatomic level. 

I would actually post my music to that kind of forum first, frankly...

2 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Instead of having a ton of splintered forums, tell people exactly what you want from your post. 

If you want criticism to the subatomic level, say that in your post and I'm sure you'd get it. 

Agreed

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Instead of having a ton of splintered forums, tell people exactly what you want from your post. 

If you want criticism to the subatomic level, say that in your post and I'm sure you'd get it. 

Exactly right.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Agree!  I think the songs forums can monitor itself.  

• Like 1

If we were going to have another song forum, I would rather it be focused on live singer-songwriter stuff where people play live whether in the studio or at a gig and maybe post a video or something. Let's face it, the only way 99% of are ever going to make money in music these days is by playing live, even if it's just live on YouTube. Look at fretkillrlives. He's got 16,000 subscribers just from playing on YouTube. (He had an older channel that had considerably more!) So I'm thinking that a forum based on live playing might be a good idea and good practice for most of us. It would also be good for us to focus on helping each other out by promoting one another's channels. Just a thought. And yes, we could do it all from the same forum, but I think it would be easier to keep posts in perspective if there was another forum.

Edited by Will Hackett

3 hours ago, Will Hackett said:

If we were going to have another song forum, I would rather it be focused on live singer-songwriter stuff where people play live whether in the studio or at a gig and maybe post a video or something. Let's face it, the only way 99% of are ever going to make money in music these days is by playing live, even if it's just live on YouTube. Look at fretkillrlives. He's got 16,000 subscribers just from playing on YouTube. (He had an older channel that had considerably more!) So I'm thinking that a forum based on live playing might be a good idea and good practice for most of us. It would also be good for us to focus on helping each other out by promoting one another's channels. Just a thought. And yes, we could do it all from the same forum, but I think it would be easier to keep posts in perspective if there was another forum.

This is a great idea...live recordings only.  At least some of us still know how to play instruments! :D:D  BTW I don't know if this is kosher on this forum so I'll sneak it in here.  If any of you still use pro tools, can you tell me why there are these little dots at the beginning of each note in midi editor?  I think it's the attack info but it doesn't move with the sustain info.  

Capture.PNG

My grandma had a canal that ran behind her house when I was a kid, and she lived across the street from us. Whenever one of her many cats started acting up and ticked me off, I'd toss it in the canal. Behavior modification ghetto style.

Edited by Will Hackett