Bandlab Instruments in Cakewalk

Xel Ohh

I don't know if this is possible Bakers ... But it would be nice to use the Bandlab instruments in Cakewalk. So when people are moving stuff from Bandlab they can have the instrument in Cakewalk as well. Without converting the midi to audio... Or completely replacing the instrument for the midi. That way you can change midi if needed in CakeWalk. Give a +1 to this thread if you agree.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

+1 Definitely. 

When I move my music from BandLab to Cakewalk I always have trouble with the sounds. Some sounds I want to change but some of them I like it and I want to keep them as it they were. And also I want to continue to work on the notes so audio stems will not work at this point. 

If  we had a VST which have BandLab sounds in it and compatible with the MIDI exports from BandLab  we would continue to work without an issue between the two softwares.

44 minutes ago, murat k. said:

compatible with the MIDI exports from BandLab

This thing can be achieved by simply routing Banks and Patches.

All the BandLab sounds we use in the Mix Editor of BandLab will have unique Bank and Patch numbers.

And this information will write in the MIDI files in Export from BandLab.

When we import the MIDI from BandLab to Cakewalk and then insert the BandLab VST Instrument for Cakewalk, same information will be recognized from the VST then it will load every sound automatically.

But having a VST Instrument only will not make a complete migration from BandLab to Cakewalk. 

Because we may have audio files in the project and the editor also have a built in sampler which will not be handled as default by BandLab VST . And also we may have Audio FXs on the tracks.

So we need a Cakewalk Project file exporter in the BandLab Mix Editor besides having a BandLab VST Instrument in the Cakewalk.

After the export when we open the file, we will see the Instrument tracks which they use the BandLab VST as a Synth with the Audio Tracks.

Audio FXs in the project and the used samples with the built in sampler can be handled by the BandLab VST. So there is no need more than that.

There is already finished and working stuff going on in the Mix Editor, so it will be easy for the VST development process rather the creating from the scratch.

6 hours ago, Xel Ohh said:

@murat k.so is this a +1 or no?🤔

13 hours ago, murat k. said:

+1 Definitely. 

I mean we need a BandLab VST Instrument in the Cakewalk and besides with that we need a Cakewalk File Exporter in the BandLab. Because we need FXs and Audio Files with the export to hear the same sounds in the Cakewalk. MIDI Export can not handle all that stuff. But Cakewalk Project file can.

Correction: I mean about exporting "Cakewalk Bundle" file from the BandLab Mix Editor. Cakewalk Bundle files includes packed Audio Files which are in the Cakewalk Project Folder.  Cakewalk Project Files doesn't have audio.

The process will be:

Do what you want in the BandLab on your Tablet.
Then export Cakewalk Bundle file from BandLab.
Open Cakewalk Bundle file on your PC.
Cakewalk will automatically see all the Audio and Instrument Tracks and load BandLab VST as a Synth.
All the FXs and Instrument sounds will be recognized by the BandLab VST.
Continue to work on the project.

• Like 1

And the FXs on the Audio Tracks will be handled by the same BandLab VST as Audio FX.

There are some VST Instruments which are capable of using as a VST FX. BandLab VST will be one of them. It will be used as both FX and Instrument.

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 1

and longer term - upload a CW bundle to BL - where the project would have used the BandLab VST to provide the instruments which would then be used in BL edits. one example might be BIAB VST (although a much nicer UI is a must), thus allowing full round trip.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Great Idea 1

+1 for the original suggestion to be able to import Bandlab virtual instruments into Cakewalk.

+1 for the idea of being able to import a Bandlab project into Cakewalk.

I have serious reservations about Bandlab importing a Cakewalk project.  Bandlab has a huge amount of online resources but Bandlab projects themself are small compared to the unlimited potential size of a Cakewalk project  I equate importing a Cakewalk project into Bandlab with using a water well bucket to pour water into a sewing thimble.

I would definitely use it more if that was the case but now I don't really mess with Bandlab like that sometimes I want to change what I made on the go in cakewalk and to not have the instruments just slows down the process because I have to find a new sound to replace the one from Bandlab 

• Like 2