Disagreement Between Staff View and PRV

aleo

Question

I noticed a peculiar discrepancy between note events shown in staff view and note events shown in PRV and Event List this morning and ran a simple test project to get to the bottom of it.  Here is what I observed:  In both a MIDI and an Instrument track, I recorded a note for sixteen measures from measure 2 to measure 17.  Staff View, PRV, and Event List were all in agreement.  Go to PRV and extend to eight more measures of the same note.   The note is now extended to the correct length in the clip in Track view, is correct in Event List, and appears to be extended eight measures in Staff View at first, but if I move the horizontal slider square from full left slowly to the right to where the first measure on the left of the screen is 19 the note disappears--nothing on the staff from measure 17 on.  If you play the clip all the way through to measure 26 you can hear the extended note even though it doesn't appear on the staff.  I've had the experience of notes disappearing or not indicating they've been extended when they are represented as lines in a clip in Track View, but I always expected there would be good synchronization between Piano Roll View and Staff View.  Am I doing something wrong or is it the program?

I am using CbB v. 2022.06 running with Windows 10 21H1.

7 answers to this question

Ooops.  I hit save instead of cancel.

EDIT: WTF:  Negative one. LOLOLOLOL. Actually it was only a partial Ooops.  I had put in relevant quotes but didn't have time to write up the full measure minus one tick strategy I have done with the event list for ages in order to avoid conflicts going into a new measure at the end of a string of measures. 

I wanted to do some more testing to write up as thorough a relevant response as possible comparing the use of the Staff View and the PRV.

Edited by User 905133
to add additional information
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aleo said:

BTW, the "drone" was actually one of two evolving ambient timbres I put together in Massive.

I figured as much. Otherwise I might have proposed you work around it by re-triggering within 16 measures on loud transients in other parts of the mix to mask it. The notes wouldn't be shown properly tied, but at least the Staff View wouldn't be showing nothing.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for responding David.  Maybe one of the bakers will catch this problem and correct it in a future version.

BTW, the "drone" was actually one of two evolving ambient timbres I put together in Massive.  In an ambient piece I'm working on it evolves and runs on for nearly fifty measures.

it looks like the staff view has the discrepancy between the "page number" and the "measure number". when you zoom out, you can see all the measures (in my example, 31 measures) but when you view it in normal view, the page 17 view doesn't let you see the last few measures and then the display jumps on the next "page", hiding the last few measure.  so, it seems yet another (perhaps already known?) bug in the staff view... or perhaps just a wrong page view vs measure view setting?

image.thumb.png.831e4559a83dd6e4be02098639d395fa.png

and a print preview seems to show a similar issue of missing measures...

image.png.f29150073e52030825c729a0ef83db34.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for responding Glen, particularly for the screen shots.  Hopefully, this will be an easy bug to fix and the bakers will get to it soon.  At least the notes are being recorded as I've written them or lengthened them, and you hear them for the correct length of time when you play the clip.