Granular Love - new mix

Lynn Wilson

Great to see you back on the forum Lynn.  What a return -- Great song !  Complex, creative and very entertaining.  I enjoyed the lyrics also.

I hope that you family is doing well as are you.  I'm afraid that this CoVid thing is going to be around for some time. 

I look forward to more of your creations!

On 9/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

Mark, thanks for listening to this and your wise words,  I understand what you mean by being careful with the use of this software.  I consider it another "spice" in my spice rack.  I do, however, like spicy food ;)  Ever since hearing Imogen Heep's  "Hide And Seek", I've been a sucker for f/x like this, and I finally got to have my turn.

Lynn,

It would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same spices:)   Had a listen to Hide and Seek, I must say I prefer your use of the effect.      Obviously millions of people love the sound because Imogen Heep has a ton of fans, as does that song.   Anyway, a good song and performance is a good song and performance regardless of the recipe used.     Glad to see you back posting songs.

Regards

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, freddy j said:

Great to see you back on the forum Lynn.  What a return -- Great song !  Complex, creative and very entertaining.  I enjoyed the lyrics also.

I hope that you family is doing well as are you.  I'm afraid that this CoVid thing is going to be around for some time. 

I look forward to more of your creations!

Thanks, Fred, what a hectic year, but what a story to tell!  Kate and I are doing well even if others around us are falling apart~~~  I appreciate your kind words!

7 hours ago, markno999 said:

Lynn,

It would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same spices:)   Had a listen to Hide and Seek, I must say I prefer your use of the effect.      Obviously millions of people love the sound because Imogen Heep has a ton of fans, as does that song.   Anyway, a good song and performance is a good song and performance regardless of the recipe used.     Glad to see you back posting songs.

Regards

I find that cooking and producing are very similar ;)

On 9/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

Cool vocal  effect and tastefully done.  I did find that there were some timing issues, maybe problems with syncing between different different tracks.  Especially some of the percussion tracks didn't seem to line up.  Other than that though, very well done!

jeff

Jeff, thanks for your reply!  The timing issue was brought up earlier, so you are not alone in hearing this.  When constructing this song, I used preset percussion beats from Superior Drummer 3 and combined straight beats with swing patterns (ala King Crimson and Bill Bruford) for an experiment in polyrhythm.  Whether it works or not, is kinda up to the listener.  It was one of my question marks about this tune.  Good ears!

On 9/10/2022 at 9:12 PM, antler said:

Great song Lynn. I saw the comment above about sounding like Peter Gabriel and completely agree (in a good way). Very creative song and arrangement.

Well done!

You rascal ,,, had me a little worried .......... Great mix and as said,  Pete' should be bloody jealous  LOL ..Love ya Man ..

Steve

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 9:31 AM, michaelhanson said:

Sounds great Lynn.  Up to your usual standards!

Thanks Michael!  Standards are my next goal ;)

On 9/17/2022 at 10:12 AM, STEVE POOLE said:

You rascal ,,, had me a little worried .......... Great mix and as said,  Pete' should be bloody jealous  LOL ..Love ya Man ..

Steve

"Pete' should be bloody jealous"  That's one for the ages :)!  Steve, it's truly good to hear from you.  I did manage to chronicle my year in song, which I will let slip out over the next few months.  I have tried to keep up with you, and if I missed a review, I will say now that I've liked all I've heard from you.

Edited by Lynn Wilson
  • Haha 1

Hi Lynn . . . very interesting piece, super unpredictable chord changes . . . also noteworthy is that I listened on headphones first, then on speakers . . . I must say I didn't get it on headphones, with all the panning and phased effects, but on my small speakers the piece has more focus and gets much clearer for me, including the lyrics . . . lol, usually it's the other way around. I'm hearing your main chorus lyrically as "Come All The Way" . . . and the "granular love" theme is secondary to that.

Lots of depth here, lyrically and musically . . . and was great to hear your new production here on the forum again.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:45 PM, noynekker said:

Hi Lynn . . . very interesting piece, super unpredictable chord changes . . . also noteworthy is that I listened on headphones first, then on speakers . . . I must say I didn't get it on headphones, with all the panning and phased effects, but on my small speakers the piece has more focus and gets much clearer for me, including the lyrics . . . lol, usually it's the other way around. I'm hearing your main chorus lyrically as "Come All The Way" . . . and the "granular love" theme is secondary to that.

Lots of depth here, lyrically and musically . . . and was great to hear your new production here on the forum again.

Well, thank you for taking the time to listen twice!  I know what you mean about the chorus; the pre chorus is pretty dominant.  I take them as one part anymore.  I did spend a bit of time with headphones, but they differ so much from brand to brand, even when calibrated, that all I an hope for is an "average" mix from them.  Again, thanks for your feedback!

OK, first off I hear the excellence and the work you did. Great vocals, I liked the flangey treatment. One listen and I think I know what could be looked at.

Is that the cajon primarily on or around beat 3 of most measures? Going " whoom - whooomp"?

Try only popping in with that for flavor in certain sections of your song? And lowering the volume of it? I think it kills the groove dead when it woom woomps. If it were me I'd try muting it all the way through, to see if the song starts to get your head bobbing more.

love your stuff, so great to see you back!!!

cheers,

-Tom

• Great Idea 1

Tom, thanks for your advice!  The instrument is called UDU MEINL in a Toontrack percussion pack.  I've never used it before, and after going over the song with a fine-toothed comb, I think I know where it works and where it doesn't.  I'll be working on this tomorrow, and I really appreciate your ears and kind words.

• Like 1