OTS Violin Bass

Bapu

Evolution Vintage Violin Bass

Available Now + Introductory Discount

We're excited to present our latest virtual instrument, Evolution Vintage Violin Bass, which we recorded using an authentic '60s violin bass. This often-requested bass is unlike any of the other instruments we've developed. Not only is a short scale bass, but also has a hollow body, both factors which contribute to its unique, iconic sound.

The instrument includes both picked and fingerstyle techniques, each covering open sustains, muted notes, harmonics, and more. And of course, as part of our Evolution series, you can customize how you want the articulations to be mapped.

It also comes with a comprehensive collection of built-in effects and a wide assortment of ready-to-use factory presets, many of which take inspiration from the classics that originally made the bass famous.

Evolution Vintage Violin Bass is normally $179 USD, but until September 30th you can pick up your copy at an introductory discount of $139.

Check out its webpage to watch the walkthrough video and listen to audio demos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been waiting for a great Hofner 500/1 bass library for what seems like forever and been begging Greg Schlaepfer/Orange Tree Samples to make a Hofner 500/1 library and this hit it out of the park, which is what I'd expect out of OTS, but still, playing this is incredible. I've had it since last month, as I made a demo for it that will go live later this week. 

The Hofner 500/1 is my absolute favorite tone for a rock bass guitar and in the weeks that I've been using the library, I've found that it not only completely nails the sound of the bass and plays great , but with some effects on it, it  goes far beyond the signature tone that McCartney made famous and it sounds great in harder edged rock songs too. In fact, I was using it on a kind of Zeppelin-esque alt-rock song last week that doesn't sound anything like the McCartney signature bass tone it's famous for, and it sounded great. In the month I had it, this has become my go to rock bass guitar out of a total of easily 40 really fine detailed sampled and modeled bass guitars.  

(Disclosure: I've consulted to Orange Tree Samples. I'm a former semi-pro musician,  well a drummer -- as my musician mother used to say "You're a musician because you play piano and organ; drummers aren't musicians!" -- who has a home studio where I regularly record original music and covers that extensively use sample libraries and plugins. I've long been a huge fan of OTS libraries -- that is what led to my consulting.) 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, Fleer said:

What a sound! I’m no bass player but this is intriguing to say the least. 

If you listen to the demo, note the palm mutes. I forwarded an early version of my demo (it hasn't been posted yet) to Greg -- who is an excellent bassist and pianist -- and he suggested that I try palm mutes  on a certain part. Wow. Once I tried that -- it made a huge difference. 

This is one of the most fulfilling sampled instruments to play/hear I've ever known.  I've loved the sound of this bass guitar since I was a wee lad and being able to capture that sound playing a keyboard is amazing. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

With my Evolution Complete Bundle upgrade and Orange Slices, I got it for $71.61.

Downloading now.

I've heard your playing and found you're a really talented bass player. I don't remember the name of the project you're in that does covers of 80s songs (which I like and follow on Facebook,  btw), but man are all of you seriously talented. Consequently,  I'm curious,  when do you turn to sampled bass and do you use it in the final production or replace it with your live bass playing ? For me, I started using electronic drums and midi for live shows going back in the 80s and in later when recording demos of my original music largely because I don't have a great knowledge of recording and production techniques to be able to achieve great sounding drums with basically no effort (I've always  relied on live and studio sound engineers to get the sound I was after and never got fluent on anything recording related beyond properly micing my acoustic drums). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

On 9/6/2022 at 6:04 PM, PavlovsCat said:

1) I've heard your playing and found you're a really talented bass player. I don't remember the name of the project you're in that does covers of 80s songs (which I like and follow on Facebook,  btw), but man are all of you seriously talented.

2) Consequently,  I'm curious,  when do you turn to sampled bass and do you use it in the final production or replace it with your live bass playing ? 

1) Thanks for the compliment. That's Fizzy Pickle

2) TBH I rarely use libraries in a final product. If I use one in a demo, I'll replace it with live playing. Given the variety of basses I have I can pretty much get what sound I'm looking for.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 3

On 9/6/2022 at 6:55 PM, Bapu said:

With my Evolution Complete Bundle upgrade and Orange Slices, I got it for $71.61.

Downloading now.

I went the same route. One has to be careful to select the best bundle. I nearly selected the more expensive option to complete the "big bottom" bundle.

Anyway it sounds great!

7 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I went the same route. One has to be careful to select the best bundle. I nearly selected the more expensive option to complete the "big bottom" bundle.

Anyway it sounds great!

This is likely an unwise overshare, but it's not my first. Many years ago Greg Schlaepfer, Orange Tree Samples' CEO,  and I were chatting and I said, "Someday you've got to do a bass guitar sale or bundle and call it 'Big Bottom' in honor of rock legends Spinal Tap." So yeah, I really want to make sure I get credit for that in case anyone didn't get the reference to the name! I mean it should be on my resume,  right? It's just pure fun in naming. I mean,  we're all a bunch of musicians and there should be joy and even humor in what we do, IMO. Music is all about emotion and passion. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

28 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I said, "Someday you've got to do a bass guitar sale or bundle and call it 'Big Bottom' in honor of rock legends Spinal Tap." So yeah, I really want to make sure I get credit for that in case anyone didn't get the reference to the name!

But does it go to 11? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

No hurry. I upgraded to Evolution Complete bundle this summer, so I can wait for next 60% off

Just curious as to how much are you really saving by waiting ~9 months for the next (maybe?) GroupBuy?

Won't the list price then be $179 instead of the intro price of $139?

Won't the cost of the "Evolution Complete Bundle upgrade" also increase after the intro period?

And ~10% inflation?

Maybe I am just bad at counting beans, but . . . "installed" (c) 2022 Bapu

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

Won't the cost of the "Evolution Complete Bundle upgrade" also increase after the intro period?

That depends. As Yan said "I upgraded to Evolution Complete bundle this summer". So his price today to upgrade should have been $77 (if he were to choose the correct new upgrade to the bundle) . Less is he has orange slices available.

During the summer sale, maybe his upgrade price would be 60% off of the $77 upgrade price (~$30).