Allow midi routing to other tracks.

rfssongs

Although cakewalk has methods to get layered tracks they are not entirely convenient. It ultimately requires either copying a recording or recording a take on multiple tracks. This means that edits have to be done on more than one track or use a linked track if you want to hear the full sound while you edit.

Linked tracks do seem to slow down the playback at times so I won't use them.

The best solution I think would be to introduce a way to route a midi track output to the input of another track to get your layers. Edit on one track, hear playback on multiple tracks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rfssongs said:

Linked tracks do seem to slow down the playback at times so I won't use them.

This would only be possible if you do not have a powerful (at least decent) system | or | your system drive are busy packing up. 

I've never had this "slow" issue before in my 13 years with cakewalk. 

Also there's the language each DAW uses. Some DAWs call regular VSTi inserts "Midi." Whereby in Cakewalk: Midi and Instrument tracks are separate. 

More flexible MIDI routing would be nice.

Until that time.

4 hours ago, rfssongs said:

Although cakewalk has methods to get layered tracks they are not entirely convenient. It ultimately requires either copying a recording or recording a take on multiple tracks. This means that edits have to be done on more than one track or use a linked track if you want to hear the full sound while you edit.

Here is a method for sharing MIDI data hosted in one track across multiple tracks that does not rely on linking, copying or recording the same data multiple times.

1. Add an instrument track with a synth plug-in that sends MIDI data such as Code FN42 MidiChFilter, NoteMapper,  or VeloScaler. 
  2. Then use the plug-in from step 1 as the input for all the instrument and MIDI tracks needing to share the data.

Modify the data in the instrument track created in step 1 and all the tracks in step 2 respond to the change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 9/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, scook said:

More flexible MIDI routing would be nice.

Until that time.

Here is a method for sharing MIDI data hosted in one track across multiple tracks that does not rely on linking, copying or recording the same data multiple times.

1. Add an instrument track with a synth plug-in that sends MIDI data such as Code FN42 MidiChFilter, NoteMapper,  or VeloScaler. 
  2. Then use the plug-in from step 1 as the input for all the instrument and MIDI tracks needing to share the data.

Modify the data in the instrument track created in step 1 and all the tracks in step 2 respond to the change.

I have been messing around with NoteMapper & MidiChFilter for few days now. It has some very interesting possibilities. Thanks for getting me started in this direction. One of the things I started doing is setting up layers & maps and saving them as track templates so the setup & instruments are easily available. If I save them as part of a folder it comes back as part of a folder as well, very helpful for keeping together sound combo's I like.

• Like 1