Again and Again and Again, Windows is a Threat

marcL

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

This is why I disable Windows defender and use a third party solution instead (Malwarebytes Premium)

My PC stay on , and connected to the internet 24/7 (been that way for decades with a reboot ever now and then) - no issues so far.

This has beem my experience with Windows Defender ever since Windows 10 came out. Never had an issue. Can't say that with AVG or McCafee or Nortons whenever I tried them,.

• Great Idea 1

I have had issues on Windows 10 with Bitdefender, Avira, and Avast. Windows Defender just quietly does it's thing and my PC runs smoothly. :)

I do run Malwarebytes Free scan weekly, and so far it has never found anything! It's always good to get a 2nd opinion!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 5:22 AM, Doug Rintoul said:

Can  you recommend a third party AV that does not block your every move and is a light as WD?

It doesn't exist. Just be sensible online, don't do any risky activities, have regular system backups and you'll be fine, even if the worst did happen, you are only a system restore away.

For most of my online life I never used any AV, inbuilt or 3rd party, no firewall inbuilt or 3rd party, never did anything risky, never had a problem. Would I advise that to someone else? No, but for myself I was comfortable with it.

Now I use Win 10's inbuilt AV and FW, although I might as well not, because they never get updated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Acronis TI has a virus checker.  It gets annoying installing installing software when it asks to trust.  On one system Live took ages to open up and for some reason Acronis didn't trust it.

I use TI, but I don't install it, just boot from the bootable disc to do my backups, don't want anything extra, unnecessary running in the background. 

Works for me. 

• Great Idea 1