(Not a deal) Delarrified

Fleer

I generally avoid Facebook groups with only a few exceptions. The ones dedicated to hometown history can be interesting and generally harmless.

I really hate when a vendor chooses to use Facebook groups as their primary customer communications channel. They lose!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, husker said:

If you recall, we had to lobby to create this sub forum in the wake of the Cakewalk demise, now I wouldn't be surprised if it is just removed if it dies any more - it really doesn't have anything to do with Cakewalk

It's ok if the Coffee House doesn't have to do with Cakewalk 100% of the time. Every forum I know of out there has an 'off topic' section. Lar was the biggest sole contributor here and the best at what he did no doubt, especially considering his lack of affiliates -- and not that this is gonna happen, but if this forum got shut down over one person's absence that would be the ultimate insult to all the members who hang and contribute here. This forum/sub forum ain't going anywhere, ibtl

• Like 3

I don't know if anyone remembers, but the "Deals" forum wasn't always a Coffee House sub-forum.

The mods moved it there at some point after some bad behavior had occurred, rather than shut it down. Don't recall the details, but the Coffee House is technically the "off-topic"section here. And Larry always proudly stated that he never "goes upstairs". :)

ibtl

Edited by abacab

1 minute ago, abacab said:

I don't know if anyone remembers, but the "Deals" forum wasn't always a Coffee house sub-forum.

The mods moved it there at some point after some bad behavior had occurred. Don't recall the details, but the Coffee House is technically the "off-topic"section here. And Larry always proudly stated that he never "goes upstairs". :)

ibtl

do recall that actually, ibtl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I guess one has to search "I'd say the best alternative strategy is joining that Facebook group Larry and I are in" to find it.  I may have joined it but FB is really messy.  You get these feeds because friends replied to something you didn't join. 

JMO: Facebook is the devil.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bapu said:

My 2 (pence/cent/centavos/etc.)

Lars was on top of immediate availability of sale items that I would get in a company provided email sometimes up to two days later (ToonTrack comes to mind the most). Without Lars posting his insane amount of threads daily I'll just rely on company related announcements. I may miss a deal here or there, but such is life.

Looking at your studio, it looks you rarely miss a deal!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I guess one has to search "I'd say the best alternative strategy is joining that Facebook group Larry and I are in" to find it.  I may have joined it but FB is really messy.  You get these feeds because friends replied to something you didn't join. 

Here's the link to the group I was referring to, if you want  to confirm that's the one you're in. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/plugindeals/?ref=share

I will say though that there's no way that I'd do what King Lar did without affiliate links. He just did so much you have to wonder how many hours of his time and day that took.. and he gets nothing for that? I think that's why he got so pissed at those two dudes that were disagreeing with them. I watched that whole thing go down; objectively speaking, it wasn't that bad.. I wouldn't say they were trolling him per se, but they were definitely disagreeing with him--and the disagreements weren't completely out of line either--but one guy was sort of following him around over the course of a day or two and disagreeing with him on various stuff. And considering that Lar made no money doing what he did.. I think he just got mad and bailed, and I don't think he's coming back this time either. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camel but probably there was something else going on too.. there almost always is. People are so complicated ibtl

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Christian Jones said:

I will say though that there's no way that I'd do what King Lar did without affiliate links. He just did so much you have to wonder how many hours of his time and day that took.. and he gets nothing for that? I think that's why he got so pissed at those two dudes that were disagreeing with them. I watched that whole thing go down; objectively speaking, it wasn't that bad.. I wouldn't say they were trolling him per se, but they were definitely disagreeing with him--and the disagreements weren't completely out of line either--but one guy was sort of following him around over the course of a day or two and disagreeing with him on various stuff. And considering that Lar made no money doing what he did.. I think he just got mad and bailed, and I don't think he's coming back this time either. Maybe that was the straw that broke the camel but probably there was something else going on too.. there almost always is. People are so complicated ibtl

💯

That is the most accurate account of what happened  that I've seen (I witnessed all of that stuff go down and was sending Larry supportive and encouraging PMs, as I have a long history of doing). One of those guys was accusing Larry of shilling, having no idea that Larry never even used affiliate links. The other guy was kind of roughly correcting Larry for misinterpreting remarks from a CEO. Larry and I have had a bunch of really nice and encouraging PMs over the years and I have tried to persuade him to use affiliate links and referrals when it was an option,  because he more than earned it here,  but he shared those deals purely because he enjoyed contributing to the community.  I agree that those posters weren't exactly in the realm of bullying, but considering all of the time and effort Larry put in here it was a level of disrespect that I think frustrated him and yes, I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back. But if you look at all the hours Larry put in here, I think he was not going to be able to sustain it. But Larry's seen a lot of gratitude here from us regulars. He knows he's been greatly appreciated.  

As far as the value of the deals forum since Larry left, of course,  the amount of deals posted has dramatically declined,  but I really haven't seen the spirit of friendliness change, and that's what has always kept me coming back. While it's not the same as seeing Larry constantly posting great deals, I find at least as much value in your (Christian's) threads where people share their insights on libraries and plugins they love as a deals thread, probably more value,  actually. Those threads make this a very worthwhile forum for me and there remains a spirit of respect and friendliness towards others here that I enjoy. If a few bad apples pop up from time to time, it's really the exception to the norm here and compared to other forums, it's not bad at all. This is still primarily a bunch of friendly and helpful people I've come to like sharing knowledge I find useful even if there's not an enormous amount of deals. 

I hope and I've tried to encourage Larry to come back, not to work day and night posting deals,  but just to be part of conversations again. He's earned lifetime HOF contributor status for this forum even if he never made another deals post. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I find at least as much value in your (Christian's) threads where people share their insights on libraries and plugins they love as a deals thread

I appreciate that man. Those threads I made are a couple of 'one-offs' though I'm afraid. I posted them because I considered the content deal-related and I intended to drop some coin on the results/sales this weekend.  And people are reading thinking "no way Christian measures up to King Lar." Actually, I'd say I'm even more respected, because when Lar leaves.. he can't be gone for half a day before people here are on his case, whereas with me.. when I leave for weeks or even months at a time, no one bothers me at all.. no one reaches out, no one posts about me.. they just pretend like they don't even notice I'm gone.. just how I like it 🙂   ibtl

1 hour ago, Christian Jones said:

I appreciate that man. Those threads I made are a couple of 'one-offs' though I'm afraid. I posted them because I considered the content deal-related and I intended to drop some coin on the results/sales this weekend.  And people are reading thinking "no way Christian measures up to King Lar." Actually, I'd say I'm even more respected, because when Lar leaves.. he can't be gone for half a day before people here are on his case, whereas with me.. when I leave for weeks or even months at a time, no one bothers me at all.. no one reaches out, no one posts about me.. they just pretend like they don't even notice I'm gone.. just how I like it 🙂   ibtl

Yes, to anyone prone to misinterpreting my earlier post, I definitely don't mean that I see Christian or anyone replacing Larry -- Larry was the forum's MVP, the Michael Jordan of the Cakewalk Deals Forum. But even while you're not posting every hour of the day, you're a really valuable member of the community and you know how to create compelling threads.  Someone posted that they don't like the character of this forum anymore, but while I don't think that the two users in question treated Larry with the respect he and every forum member deserve, I don't think that they represent the norm here. This forum still is, by and large, a group of really nice people and that is why I keep coming back. Clearly, a lot of us -- me and included -- miss Larry's presence, not just for his prolific posting, but we like him. But Larry's a grown man. He didn't suffer bullying on the forum. He just decided he needed a temporary break or maybe he even decided to make a permanent break. That's fair. He put in a lot of effort here and I don't even know how he sustained that for so long. He knows that he's greatly appreciated here and a couple of less than polite users shouldn't be allowed to ruin the experience here.  

• Like 1