Pro Channel Compression for Classical Guitar

sadicus

What is a good compressor for Classical Guitar that can be used in the Pro Channel? In this case it's a mono, single track.
I was following this tutorial:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwlWt75ExY

Then realized the Pro Channel Default compressor setting do not have that range.
anyone share or know how to acquire the Pro Channel version of FET Compressor by Softube? (nevermind, looks like crashed Cakewalk)
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Softube-Mix-Bundle/FET-Compressor

Edited by sadicus

On 9/3/2022 at 12:56 PM, Cactus Music said:

Is there a reason you want to use the pro channel ?  I always put my compressor in the track effects bin. I prefer to use specific compressors and in the bin they are visible in console view 

PC (ProChannel) is also visible in Console View and has a couple of nice compressors. PC also has a bunch of presents to audition if you choose to use them.

Edited by Bill Phillips

Honestly?

The PC76 is my go to for most situations as was the 1176ln in the hardware world. Extremely versatile and clean sounding.

It's mostly a matter of understanding the setting types and the use if each function.

I also use the CA2a for many situations as well. These are both very realistic and musically useful tools.

I have numerous others from numerous manufacturers and occasionally heave need or desire of them for particular reasons, but I could easily live with the PC76 & CA2a as I was fortunate to enjoy in the ancient hardware world. Without attempting to a/b any versions, suffice to say that no 2 hardware models ever sound quite the same either, but the nature and character of those prized pieces of hardware are present for sure!

BTW If you need something more versatile than that you might checkout the IK version of the distressor which is (was?) available free recently...

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 11:56 AM, Cactus Music said:

Is there a reason you want to use the pro channel ?  I always put my compressor in the track effects bin. I prefer to use specific compressors and in the bin they are visible in console view 

I was just trying to make a Channel Strip specific for each of my guitars, and PC is a way to keep things organized. I thinks there's a way to add an effects chain to the PC now, that might work.

i use the PC FX chain to host my effects and save each as a preset. then in my templates i have a baseline set of them in use, but can select other presets - so i have the CW effects as default, then Waves, Slate, etc variations. plus instrument variants: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, rock bass, jazz bass, funk bass, lead guitar, lead vox, back vox, etc. also left and right guitar with some preliminary scooping etc to make LR placement not become big mono, etc. also bus presets for instruments, reverbs, delays, etc. so using the PC works for me as i can see the stack of effects and PC fx in a single pane. the track fx box tends to be too small for me.

• Like 1

I agree that the PC-76 compressor found in the Pro Channel can be very effective -- on a case by case basis. I used it for years, but rather indiscriminately. I got in the habit of applying it to all parts of a piece. This ended up not working well. I found that the middle section of my music -- by middle section, I'm referring to all the accompanying instruments that are mostly holding down the rhythm and harmony -- had gotten muddy sounding. The cure, I found, was to completely eliminate all compression. And I did this for a while, the result being a much cleaner sounding mix. I did my best using volume, eq, and limiters to control each track's level, and this worked well enough in most instances.  But not all. I would still have the occasional stubborn track  that required some sort of compression.

Thus I've found that compression works better if I employ it on a case-by-case basis. But still being a bit gunshy of PC-76, I have come to rely on a pair of free VST's from Tokyo Dawn Records -- Nova, a parallel dynamic equalizer, and Kotelnikov, a mastering compresssor. These two work best as a pair, I've found. I establish a good EQ with Nova, then add compression and even some limiting with Kotelnikov. Both are very easy to use, have lots of controls for those who like to tweak things, and are effective in their output. I have found that Kotelnikov really is a mastering compressor. It is the final step I put into use in my mastering process. And since Nova immediately precedes it in the fx chain, it is also part of the final mastering process.