Speech Recognition Intercepting Keyboard Shortcuts

Bill Phillips

Question

What did I do to, apparently, activate Windows Speech Recognition? Starting a couple of days ago while working in Cakewalk the "Welcome to Speech Recognition" dialog shown in the screenshot popped up when I used the CTRL + S attempting to save the project I was working on. I may have preceded the CTRL + S with another keyboard shortcut my mistake. The Spacebar Play/Stop keyboard shortcut quit working at the same time. For a while I couldn't use either CTRL + S to save or Spacebar to Play/Stop.

Since then it happens nearly every time I'm using Cakewalk. The keyboard shortcuts CTRL + S and Spacebar work as they should for a while until the "Welcome to Speech Recognition" dialog opens for CTRL +S. I'm positive that I'm not pressing Win + CTRL + S when this happens. Also, the Spacebar Play/Stop shortcut doesn't always stop working.

Eventually both commands begin working again. It's as if Cakewalk has lost the focus and clicking on it or in it doesn't restore the focus for some time.

Things I've done that haven't solved the problem

1. I've verified that "Run Speech Recognition at startup" is not ticked.
  2. I'll open Task Manager and cancel Speech Recognition which has sometimes seemed to persist after I've closed the "Welcome to Speech Recognition" dialog is closed.

QGlwo2S.png

2 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Ctrl-Windows-S launches the speech recognition wizard, so my guess is a sticky key on the keyboard.

I definitely considered that but decided it's not the problem. It hasn't stuck with any other keyboard shortcuts. I use Windows keyboard shortcuts frequently. So I think I'd be seeing other examples.