Default MIDI device

18 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Cakewalk uses the VST instrument that is at the top of your synth rack.

The question is about the default Input assignment for a MIDI track (or the MIDI side of an Instrument track). The order of synths in the rack has no bearing on this.

The way this works partly depends on the setting of 'Always Echo Current MIDI Track' in Preferences. If it's disabled, the default Input will be 'None'.  If 'Always Echo...' is enabled or you manually enable Input Echo on a new track without first selecting an Input and there is more than one hardware and/or virtual MIDI input available, the track Input will default to All Inputs - Omni.

The only way to get around this behavior is to use track or project templates as Greg suggested.

Bottom line:  No, there is no option to set a default MIDI Input assignment for new tracks inserted without using a template.  I don't know why this has never been implemented as it's been requested many times over the years (decades!). If a track template can do it, you would think a default template could easily be designated for inserting new tracks.

• Like 1

Good catch. So my answer should have been if you use the New insert dialogue using the + icon that is found in the  top / left of the track pane you can choose your input device.  
This choice will remain in place until you close the project. 

The other thing that you can do is uncheck all midi input options in preferences except the controller / device you want to use.  
The down side of this is the new tracks will default to All inputs which generally is fine unless you have instruments with midi output enabled. But otherwise your sole connection will input midi data to the track. 
I would like to see a change to the way midi input is handled. There’s been lots of issues caused by this. It would make more sense to me that your keyboard controller is set by default in midi preferences. Or at least per project. 

Edited by Cactus Music
  • Like 1

After creating a track template, using something like autohotkey can reduce adding the template to a project to a single key combination.

The following autohotkey snipped uses Windows+SPACE to load my Guitar track template into a project (note: I keep all my templates is a folder called "Custom").

#space::
  Send,!it
  WinWait,Import Track Template
  Send,Custom{Enter}
  Send,Guitar{Enter}
  Return