Spectral Layers Pro6 and ARA2 integration

balinas

Don’t forget that Cakewalk has been working with ARA since the standard was created. In fact they were involved with Celemony and Presonus during the initial development.

Cubase hasn’t been involved with ARA that long and Spectral layers is only one of a very few ARA compatible plugins.

as always you get more of Spectral Layers by opening up your audio directly in the standalone program. 

11 hours ago, balinas said:

and now my SpectraLayers Pro 5 wont open up.  I get a little flash screen, then it closes.  Worked fine before I installed SLPro6.  Any ideas?

I would not be surprised if NI has a way to disable earlier versions if you are installing an NI "upgrade" from an earlier Magix version. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

How exactly is an upgrade from Magix versions of Spectralayers Pro going to work? Has anyone tried? Does it ask for the Magix serial number, or check for previous installed versions on the target machine or somehow interact with the Magix or Spectralayers customer database or what?

7 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

How exactly is an upgrade from Magix versions of Spectralayers Pro going to work? Has anyone tried? Does it ask for the Magix serial number, or check for previous installed versions on the target machine or somehow interact with the Magix or Spectralayers customer database or what?

Most likely it will look for a valid installed version, or will ask you for the Serial# 
to version 5 when you install.

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

I would not be surprised if NI has a way to disable earlier versions if you are installing an NI "upgrade" from an earlier Magix version. 

I would agree, but it just isn't very nice!

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

Slartabarfast, NI has nothing to do with this...it's Steinberg now...it was Magix,

just for clarification

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, balinas said:

and now my SpectraLayers Pro 5 wont open up.  I get a little flash screen, then it closes.  Worked fine before I installed SLPro6.  Any ideas?

I reinstalled Spectalayers Pro 5 without issue, and it works fine visually side by side with v6, free standing.  They just dont like using the same ASIO driver with my AI.  Not that I would really use them side by side, yet.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Slartabarfast, NI has nothing to do with this...it's Steinberg now...it was Magix,

just for clarification

I knew this when I responded, just was testing everyone!  Actually just shows how close I DON'T read some posts, no body in particular, I swear!  Well, ok, perhaps closer to the truth is  that the standout person hasn't posted here for a few hours.  Looking all the way in the mirrors in a fun house on this one! Move on, nothing to see here.  

Edited by balinas
added solution
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, SunPower said:

MUDGEL: When you purchased SpectraLayers Pro 6, did you have to provide your serial number for the previous version (v1-4) as part of the order process?

No I didn’t. Just selected upgrade as my version. I’d say it checks during installation for a previous version. 

19 hours ago, John said:

I have SpectraLayers Pro 6 and it did not look for or ask for a previous version. 

I’m only speculating. I had said

“I’d say it checks during installation........“

i wasn’t asked for details of an earlier purchase or serial number. My reasoning is that I can’t imagine Steinberg allowing you to get away with an illegitimate upgrade if your entitlement wasn’t checked somehow. Even if only in the background during installation. 

I’d be interested in knowing, if anyone was able to install the upgrade without a previous version already installed. 

6 minutes ago, MUDGEL said:

I’m only speculating. I had said

“I’d say it checks during installation........“

i wasn’t asked for details of an earlier purchase or serial number. My reasoning is that I can’t imagine Steinberg allowing you to get away with an illegitimate upgrade if your entitlement wasn’t checked somehow. Even if only in the background during installation. 

I’d be interested in knowing, if anyone was able to install the upgrade without a previous version already installed. 

as a round about way of answering your question - I believe SB are now asking for documentary proof of the original purchase of SL

I didn’t really ask a question. Reason being that I’ve bought and installed SL6 after upgrading my SL 4 to 5 at Magix then 5 to 6 at Steinberg. 

Just sharing my experience as someone else asked the question about the need for proof of having the qualifying version for a legit upgrade. 

If Steinberg ask me to retroactively provide proof I can do so. 

Finally bought this today, and the process was quite obtuse.  I 
registered the code in my eLicenser, at which point it showed
up in my account, but no download link, either in the email
OR in my account.  So went to "Try now" and got the email
which had a download link for the Steinberg Installer, which
ODDLY, was not installed on my computer already, and then,
after installing the download manager, was able to install the
Software.

Mind you, I did NOT have to prove ownership of 5 to buy the 6
upgrade.  I don't know if that's because I own Cubase 10 Pro,
or why...but it just sent me an activation code right away...

I want the ARA 2 integration for BOTH CbB, Cubase, and S1 4,
so the upgrade price was very reasonable compared to Magix
upgrade price...

• Like 1

Just as a reminder:

To use Spectralayers pro v6 as ARA2   in Studio ONE v 4.5,   you have to press hold the alt key down and drag Spectralayers from the Effects browser onto the selected audio event/clip (s) you want to manipulate.  So, still an extra step as compared to Melodyne. 

OOPS!  Left out that this was for Studio ONE only.  Not for CbB, nor Cubase, nor any other DAW that has ARA2 that I know.  

Edited by balinas
clarification
  • Thanks 2