Spectral Layers Pro6 and ARA2 integration

balinas

Dear Forum Members,

we are very pleased to welcome a new member to the Steinberg product family: SpectraLayers Pro 6.

SpectraLayers is a new approach to audio editing, with new concepts to transform the way you work. For the first time you can directly edit spectral data, opening advanced sonic worlds, and use innovative enhancements to traditional techniques. Visualize audio in astonishing new ways — including 3D, work with mixes as if they were tracks and integrate all of these abilities into your DAW and other tools.

Some of the key features in SpectraLayers are:

• Surgical and intuitive spectral editing with 25 real-time tools

• Advanced Selection Engine

• Selection-based effects

• The only visual transformation system for sound

• Tracks, Regions and Clips separated as Layers

• ARA 2 and AAX compatibility

• Integration of other audio editors, such as WaveLab or iZotope RX

• 12 remappable surround channels

• 2D and 3D visualization of the Spectrogram

• Native restoration effects, spectral noise reduction and reverb removal 

And to welcome SpectraLayers into the Steinberg family, we are offering an introduction discount of 50% to all our customers until August 31, 2019.

Visit the SpectraLayers product page to find out more about this amazing audio editor and everything you can do with it.

https://new.steinberg.net/spectralayers/

if you have SPpro5, the upgrade price right now is $50. Actually for ARA2 integration, that is a good deal. 

• Thanks 1

I missed the last part, where it welcomes SpectraLayers to the Steinberg family.
Does that mean that it's a Yamaha Product and not a Magix Product anymore?
$50 upgrade is no brainer...but wondering if it will be offered by discounters,
as EVERY PENNY counts!

5 minutes ago, superdan54 said:

This seems interesting...what would the purpose of such an integration be? Aren't they basically doing the same thing?

Mostly for features and abilities not contained in SL Pro that are contained in the others...

If you have V1, 2, 3 or 4 then the upgrade to 6 at the Steinberg shop is for me (I have V4) in Australia only AUD$149

if you have the above and want to upgrade at Magix to V5 (their last version) then for me that would be AUD$249 + AUD$75 for the V5 to 6 upgrade from Steinberg.

Guess which update I took. Fancy a Steinberg update being the cheaper option. 

• Like 1

Just bought it, the full version (I never got the MAGIX/Sony version).  It's using the eLicenser but doesn't require the hardware, will soft license if you'd like.

Only VST3 and AAX versions of the plugin.  No VST2.

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
VST details.

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Mostly for features and abilities not contained in SL Pro that are contained in the others...

I've got RX7 so I guess I'm trying to see what SL Pro can offer aside from seamless Cubase & ARA integration. With Cubase though, RX Connect works basically like ARA so not sure if that would be enough of a selling point.

2 hours ago, superdan54 said:

This seems interesting...what would the purpose of such an integration be? Aren't they basically doing the same thing?

Well it has no plugins/audio effects.  So on that basis I think RX7 Pro is a bit better as an audio editor.  I suspect if I had tried a demo I might have re-thought getting it.  I was hoping for RX7 Pro with ARA, but it doesn't really have the tool set to go with the selection engine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, superdan54 said:

You can isolate for example a snare drum, put it on its own layer, send that snare layer to Soundforge or any other editor with effects, add reverb, send it back to Spectralayers, and mix to taste. 

The ARA stuff works pretty well with CbB and Cubase 10.  But (and this is a big one) you can't make layers.  Every track you apply the ARA effect to is a layer, but when using it in ARA mode you can't cut part of the audio out and make it a new layer.  Your ARA host can make layers, but not it.  I understand why they did it this way, but it's lame and they should have done the work.  It is should have been possible to have a virtual layer system that exists along with the ARA host layers, but that would require development and design work.  Kind of disappointed with it to be honest.  No plugins/effects and no layers in ARA mode seem like some sort of epic fail to me.  Definitely not worth the full price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

The ARA stuff works pretty well with CbB and Cubase 10.  But (and this is a big one) you can't make layers.  Every track you apply the ARA effect to is a layer, but when using it in ARA mode you can't cut part of the audio out and make it a new layer.  Your ARA host can make layers, but not it.  I understand why they did it this way, but it's lame and they should have done the work.  It is should have been possible to have a virtual layer system that exists along with the ARA host layers, but that would require development and design work.  Kind of disappointed with it to be honest.  No plugins/effects and no layers in ARA mode seem like some sort of epic fail to me.  Definitely not worth the full price.

Thanks for finding this out, Matt. Yes, I too would have expected that if you manipulated new layers in SpLayers6,  you could have the option to send each to a new layer/track in Cubase. Cubase 10 has also implemented in ARA2 a 32bit floating point restriction for SL6 and Melodyne. 

The multi-track as layers in Cubase 10 mostly just crashes for me.  Works perfectly in CbB, but the same 5 wav files in Cubase crashes just applying SpectraLayers.  I think perhaps the new Cubase 10.0.30 isn't up to snuff on ARA just yet.

The CbB ARA integration with SpectraLayers seems much better than in Cubase as well.  Perhaps not a surprise but I would have thought the two teams would have worked together a bit more.