Spitfire audio : Labs FREE VINTAGE DRUMS

Miro K

Their copy references "Jon Bonham," (he spelled it John),  although their kit is drenched in reverb and doesn't really have Bonham's sound. But the demo playing clearly  tries to imitate Bonham, especially his playing on "Moby Dick."  

Come on Spitfire, I realize you're not big on rock, but  that's JOHN HENRY BONHAM not Jon!!! ;)

Sorry, but as a drummer, I had to speak out! John freaking Bonham. How can anyone put out a drum library influenced by him and misspell that??? Oh, the humanity!!!

That said, I'll be downloading this later.  Hopefully all of that reverb isn't baked in. 

And. FTR. I did drop the folks at Spitfire a note to correct this "great injustice" of misspelling John Bonham's first name. 

Edited by Peter Woods

3 hours ago, Last Call said:

Does LABS support multi channel output so we can process each drum/cymbal as we see fit?

LABS is just a free basic multi-sample player with a few controls, for indie samplists to provide content for. It works as intended, with generally very diverse and unusual sounds to expand your sonic palette with.

As far as I know, only dedicated drum samplers offer multi-channel outputs per kit piece.

Okay,  I downloaded the library and while I didn't like the sound of the ridiculous amount of reverb on the drums in the demo (trying to imitate the sound of Bonham playing with natural reverb in a room with stone), the drums, out of the box,  sound very good and Bonham-ish. For a free library, I think this is excellent.  I immediately started playing triplets, Bonham style after I heard it. Definitely a good one!

• Like 2