Arrangements: suitable for a high number of sections?

Multi-Sonik

Hello Bandlabers.

First time around I'm actually trying to use the ARRANGER TRACK... and it's not going to well for me so far... 

Trying to use that feature to cut/organize VO tracking. (So using arranger sections to identify "clips" and "portion" of the narration associated with a PowerPoint Slide)

I have a high number of section in my arranger track (about 55 sections).  But I am only encountering problems to finish my work:

• Trying to commit the arranger track and insert it to the timeline - Bandlab hangs.
  • Trying to export the SECTIONS of my project in separated clips (aggangement not "commited"): Somehow the audio files got re-inserted in the project's timeline and created a mess (had to back to an auto-version backup to recover a usable project...) 

So i'm starting to guess my problems might be related to my high number of sections... 

Is anybody else using the ARRANGER in a kind of "per clip" workflow instead of a "per song" workflow? Maybe I just didn't choose the right tool for the job, but it just seemed logical to try it...

Thanks!

BandlabExport.thumb.png.d369e0fa4ce4ca91c10be469366aecda.png

Edited by Multi-Sonik

Regardless if this is the right tool or not, it shouldn't be hanging unless there's something wrong somewhere (either in CbB or a plugin or unique to your system). It could very well be a bug.

Capture a crash dump and get it off to the Bakers as per Noel's advice here:

They'll be able to get to the bottom of why that's happening for you.

43 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Regardless if this is the right tool or not, it shouldn't be hanging unless there's something wrong somewhere (either in CbB or a plugin or unique to your system). It could very well be a bug.

Capture a crash dump and get it off to the Bakers as per Noel's advice here:

They'll be able to get to the bottom of why that's happening for you.

Thanks! Will do.

• Like 1

... and just for the sake of the discussion, here is what I had to manually do in order to get today's job done. I did encounter other problems in my attempts to use the arranger features...

• Did a BOUNCE TO TRACK of my completed editing job
  • Selected the whole timeline and used the SPLIT CLIPS AT BOUNDARIES from the ARRANGER TRACK (to have my new bounced track splitted accordingly)
  • Manually copied/pasted the arranger track's SECTION NAMES to update my CLIPS name (on the bounced track)
  • Did an EXPORT AUDIO using only my selected bounced track using CLIPS as export source...

... But wait! I have not yet listened to any of those exported clips... might be in for another surprise... Doing some listenin' right now...

Regards.

BandlabExport02.thumb.png.324019415c930c312157ab7088b53645.png

Have not used the arranger much myself but thought I would try to replicate your issue.

I created a simple project consisting of an Instrument track and a Bounce of the audio from that track to a second track with 48 arranger sections of random length.

Initially I just dragged the last section to be first in a new arrangment.

I encountered no issue comitting that arrangment to the project or exporting the sections without committing.

The one snag I encountered was that there doesn't seem to be an option to use arranger section names as filename tags...?

One big caveat:  To save rendering time, my whole project is only 1;24 long with the longest section being about 3 seconds and there are no plugins other than the synth for the Instrument track. If your issue is related to the duration of the project and the resources needed to render it, my test won't be relevant.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, David Baay said:

The one snag I encountered was that there doesn't seem to be an option to use arranger section names as filename tags...?

The {trackname} tag will use the section name when exporting arranger sections ( or the arrangement name when exporting arrangements )

• Thanks 2

On 9/1/2022 at 4:56 PM, msmcleod said:

The {trackname} tag will use the section name when exporting arranger sections ( or the arrangement name when exporting arrangements )

In my first attempts, it did not exactly behaved like that... But I might just have overlooked something. I'll try again!