Best small time sample library developers I should check out?

Christian Jones

I like finding small dev gems who are turning out great products that are every bit as good (sometimes perhaps better) than the big guys, and for not a ton of money. Since Labor day is coming up, what are the best *small time* devs should I be checking out for sales and any time of year, all categories? 

Looks like people like Ben Osterhouse's stuff. Who else out there? 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

All KONTAKT devs...

If you aren't aware of Sound Dust, the dev's really super interesting and in the decade plus I've been a fan, I've found some heavy hitters in film composing have become fans and guys like Trent Reznor. Pick up his freebies. His stuff has a very quirky vibe to it that I love, but I'm sure it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.  

Majetone is a pretty new KONTAKT dev, but I love the Zeppelin-esque drum kit he has or had on sale for only $15USD. His other libraries sound really nice too, like his glockenspiel. Pick up his freebies. 

AudioThing has a bunch of high quality libraries, but they've been around for a while, so you probably know them. 

Beautiful Void Audio makes some beautiful synth patches in KONTAKT and for various soft synths. 

XTant Audio is an indie developer who mostly does work for other developers including  Strezov, Tronsonic, Wavesfactory, Paper Stone Instruments, Bela D and and Auddict, I've only picked up his glockenspiel so far, and it's the only dev I've actually given my permission to use a review at his site for, as I sometimes played glockenspiel in the school band as a kid and I've been in love with the instrument ever since and his is really nice and only around $5 or $6 USD. 
https://xtant-audio.com/product/bell-lyre-glockenspiel/

I'll update the list when I could think of more. I know I've bought from a lot of indie devs. But I know you already know some of them, like Fluffy Audio from our PMs. If you're looking for specific types of sample libraries, I'm sure that will jog my memory! 

• Like 4

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/ 

A community of samplists, the way that the instruments have stories behind them is also nice , there's a huge amount of creative instruments some feel like they should have been paid libraries , though they recently added the possibility to tip people

check for example sample packs by dan keen &  hunter rogerson 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Very high quality instruments that he sells at affordable prices for the full Kontakt. Tracy's specialty is sampling strings such as guitars and other "Americana" instruments. Recommend!!! :)

https://www.indiginus.com/

Two huge thumbs up on Indiginus.  Often we say, "for the money it's great".  With Indiginus I'd say "it's great" and for the money it's one of the best deals available.

• Like 1

I'm just some guy trying to learn and produce awkward tunes while dealing with a crippling case of collect-em-all-itis, but a few small devs whose stuff I've found interesting, impressive or at least intriguing for reasonable scratch (or free) include (in addition to the above):

Fanan Team (some gems in the odder efforts, IMO)

Folklorica (Lucie Treacher whimsy)

Frozen Plain (moving from Kontakt to own sampler of late)

Homegrown Sounds (mostly Kontakt, often wild)

Klang (maybe not "small" [with CI roots], but unique & cheap)

MNTRA (currently in a bit of flux, but fascinating sounds)

Pettinhouse (guitars)

Polkasound Productions (accordions 'n' more)

Puremagnetik (padmaking / FSU gizmos)

Quiet Music (ambient 'n' chill tools)

Sampletekk (keyboard/piano faves)

Wrongtools (instruments with a spin)

Apologies if any of these are repeats, defunct, obvious, fronts for megacorps, known scoundrels or otherwise irrelevant.

• Like 2