The more tracks I use - the slower the command response

Steve Ennever

Hi,

I have a project with 38 tracks. Most are used intermittently. CPU 13% Memory 16%.  Disk use 1%.

Just recently (past 3 weeks) if you've been listening to the song & just pressed stop, then left click a command (like a cut or just click on the edit box) there's an approximate 1 sec delay before the program reacts.   

Needless to say, that's incredibly infuriating. 

I ran some tests with other projects & yes, the more tracks, the longer the delay - but the amount of VST's etc did not seem to matter. 

The only changes that have occurred over the past few weeks that I can think of are an upgrade from Cakewalk & from Microsoft.

Has anyone else noticed this, or come across anything similar? 

PC's an Intel 8 core, 32 Gig RAM, SDD Drives & an RME UC. 

Best

Steve E 

With me, its the plugins.

Inserting an effect in a project that was created in the previous update build takes 5 seconds longer. Not sure why, but its not a deal breaker. The client chose that track and she recorded on it. Hooked my laptop up at the label she's signed to and worked with it like that. This was three weeks ago back in Holland. 

What you need to check for in your situation are your plugin oversampling size settings if you're using any. It causes latency which sounds like what you're experiencing. My experience taught me when ever that happens, I need to isolate and locate the issue. Normally I do this by going through every plugin I have on insert and bypass them one-by-one. 

When the culprit plugin are located, I normally just replace it with another of the same processing. 

This happens outside of CbB too. I run Mac in my studio and this happens in Logic and Pro tools too. 

Its a per project issue. It works fine in one project and in the next one - it creates latency. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

Whether plugin-related or something else, I think it's highly probable this is project- or system-specific. One of my machines is a laptop running a lowly i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz  with only 8GB of RAM and I don't see slow UI reponse to basic commands like you mentioned just due to high track counts. The only consistently slow operations I know of offhand are changing Screensets and opening the Keyboard Shortcuts view in Preferences.

A few things I have seen cause a laggy UI in the past:

- Audio driver interoperability, sometimes related to having 'Always Open All Devices' or 'Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record' enabled.

- Splitting Audiosnap-enabled clips at transients and leaving the hundreds/thousand of resulting slip-edited clips Audiosnap-enabled.

-  Real-time anti-virus scanning of Cakewalk-related resources.