Black Rooster Audio: NEW FREE PLUG-IN RO-GOLD VINTAGE PLATE REVERB

MusicMan

Black Rooster Audio: NEW FREE PLUG-IN  RO-GOLD VINTAGE PLATE REVERB

https://blackroosteraudio.com/en/landing/ro-gold

Introducing our newest free plug-in: the RO-GOLD vintage plate reverb.
This physically modeled plug-in captures the true tone of a solid gold plate reverb, turning any signal into 24k magic.
The most luxurious and exclusive vintage room effect meets modern-day features for the highest-quality sound and optimal usability. With only a few, simple-to-use parameters, it has never been easier to achieve an authentic vintage reverb sound.

Gold Plate Reverb RO-GOLD

A brief history

• The RO-GOLD was faithfully modeled after an iconic hardware classic, and upgraded with a 24k gold plate, for the most luxurious vintage reverberation experience.
  • Our plate simulation approach allows us to authentically capture the analog unit's sound and feel as closely as possible while still including a few unexpected twists - all in the beautifully designed, easy-to-use package that is the RO-GOLD.
  • Engineers have experimented with foil and metal plates to reproduce expensive reverb rooms since the 50s. However, installing and controlling a real metal plate reverb has never been easily attainable, nor has it been readily available to every producer or small studio - especially when it comes to real gold plates.
  • As it often happens, this type of hardware remained exclusive to a select few elite studios for a long time. Nevertheless, plate reverberation is audible in many 50s and 60s hit songs, where engineers extensively used this technique.
  • Not only does the RO-GOLD bring you the sound of these sought-after hardware classics, but it also captures the true tone of a solid gold plate, which would cost millions to recreate in real life. This 24k gem allows you to set up your own retro room sound, that is both warm and mellow. With only a few, simple-to-use parameters, it has never been easier to achieve an authentic vintage reverb sound.
Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for catching this great find @MusicMan I was just listening to the video with the guitar and the demos (on my phone, granted) and really liked the sound of this reverb! Even better that it's free. I have picked up a few of their effects over the years, but honestly,  I have yet to try them on anything. @mibby, I know you are into mixing. What of theirs do you recommend?

• Like 1

@Peter Woods

I've got a handful of their compressors (Blue/Black Ash and VLA-FET) and honestly, I tend to reach for other comps before theirs - not there's there's anything wrong with them in the slightest.  I just have others that I like for now and tend to use those. 

Magnetite is decent, but now that I've got the T-Racks tape machines, it probably won't get much use. 

VPRE-73 is great! That's my most used plugin from them.

I really need to go back through these again and try them out...

Oh, and customer support has always been great too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

Thanks for catching this great find @MusicMan I was just listening to the video with the guitar and the demos (on my phone, granted) and really liked the sound of this reverb! Even better that it's free. I have picked up a few of their effects over the years, but honestly,  I have yet to try them on anything. @mibby, I know you are into mixing. What of theirs do you recommend?

Welcome Peter and in general I find I dislike the majority of plate reverbs I try, which is probably also a lot of personal preference rather than them necessarily being bad. There are only a few that I do like. I've only played with this one briefly on guitar and initial impressions were very good. I need to test it further to say for sure, but as a freebie it seems excellent.

In terms of their other plugins, the VPre-73 is one of my favourite Pres and it can get a really nice warm sound that works on so much source material. It can be subtle or pushed a little further and still sound good. Highly recommended. Their VLA-2A (and the Mark II which you get for free if you own the original) version are very good too. The Mark II version was quite a nice improvement/alternative.

If I didn't already have so many compressors and EQs then I'd probably test and own more of their plugins. Great value and the developer does make some excellent plugins.

VPRE-73 is often on sale for less than the $29, so it might be better to wait for a sale where they're discounting that one in particular. However even at $29 it's still good value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mibby said:

@Peter Woods

I've got a handful of their compressors (Blue/Black Ash and VLA-FET) and honestly, I tend to reach for other comps before theirs - not there's there's anything wrong with them in the slightest.  I just have others that I like for now and tend to use those. 

Magnetite is decent, but now that I've got the T-Racks tape machines, it probably won't get much use. 

VPRE-73 is great! That's my most used plugin from them.

I really need to go back through these again and try them out...

Oh, and customer support has always been great too.

Glad you liked the freebie Mibby and that VPRE-73 is a real gem. One of my favourites from them too 🙂

• Like 1

RO-GOLD appears to be a subset of the RO-140, so perhaps they're taking a cue from Softube by releasing a stripped down version to capture a bit of mindshare in the frenzied waters of VST feeding grounds.

+1 for the VPRE-73, gets used on a regular basis here and the VLA-2A MKII . Their VLA-3A is a good UAD alt, although the O/L GEM might be a bit more "3D". 

Their Pultecs are well regarded but don't have them (yet).

I actually own the VPRE-73, but I have yet to use it. For you folks who love it, what instruments do you like it best on? I want to give it a try now that I see a few folks praising it. I really, haven't added preamp VSTs before. Of course, I'll experiment with it, but I'm just wondering what people who really love it feel it excels at, so I can try it on that. 

I've just been using the vpre-73 this week. It adds a bit of heft/thickness to my scraggly little voice. I like magnetite as well, and although I have most of the IK tapes, the rooster one is relatively light on CPU I believe.

I haven't tried this plate reverb (and honestly, have so many great verbs at this point that I'm even passing on freebies). One that I really, really like is the Goldplate that Kush and Relab did together. It sounds gorgeous, but is *brutal* in terms of processing power!

• Thanks 1