Seeking advice on a setup to use Cakewalk live

Ian McDonald

Well, figured let me try winamp. All I get are script error after script error and then window about accepting cookies and I cannot accept or decline or see what they are.

Guess I'll try something else. also looks nothing like the screenshot cactus put up. Think mine was 5.9 or so?

On 9/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, Cactus Music said:

I've used Win Amp since I guess 2004 without any issues on it's behalf. And the big reason I stayed with it is it seems the only player that  allows you to set it to " Manual Playlist Advance" Someone said Foobar also  works but I haven't tried it yet. I do not want to have to press STOP when a song ends. 

Win Amp has a huge selection of options to customize.  Little things like the playlist font size. Those things make a huge difference. Example in pour lighting conditions like outside on a sunny day.  

Playback is controlled using keyboard shortcut grouping of the lower left row -Z-X-C-V-B     Z=back,  X =Play  and so on. I have my Stealth foot switch programed for these. But for simple set ups it's easy to use these keys. I have them marked.  But generally like to perform with my hands on my guitar at all times.  ( unless there's a cold one within reach) 

Win Amp can have just about any type of media files mixed in your playlist. Including Midi. Of course that plays the dreaded MS wavetable synth. I just recently have started adding Video files. And my Backing tracks are a crazy mix of MP3, Wave 44.1 and 48. It doesn't care. 

I have spent hours researching different software for live performance and it's always missing these key features. Here is my list of what I require and Win Amp does this all except the midi data output and the 2 track limitation.  

1- Stop at end of song

2-Drag and drop playlist editing on the fly at the gig.

3-Hot keys for playback control

4-Custom Font Size

5-PLay a mix of file formats including Video

6-GUI is resizable to fit anywhere on screen.

7-Midi output 

8-Display lyrics ( can do this with video) 

9-play 4 to 6 tracks of audio 

10-Save multiple Playlists

11- Print a set list

Screenshot (447).png

John

What version of WinAmp is the screenshot? As I stated, I tried the newest release and it did not work for me?

Thanks

I just updated mine on my DAW and my Netbook last in June to Version 5.8.

I just returned to the WinAmp website and I see they have just released a new version 5.9. What's interesting is the download file now shows as being produced by Winamp and not by NullSoft     It has a weird history you can read a bit here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullsoft But it was really hard to find for a while and many of the downloaders were loaded with bloatware and whatnot. I stayed with version 5.6 and I will keep that installer just incase. 

Anyhow I downloaded the 5.9 version and installed it on my office computer where I always test stuff before installing on my DAW. 

5.8 has been used all summer without issues and I cannot tell any difference from 5.6. I do see it has WASAPI support which will be great if I ever update to W10 on my playback system. 

This is the one I've used for an long time, you can see there's a contaminated version that contains garbage. I just deleted it. I used the Lite version. 

480022596_Screenshot(407).png.10ddfe3fa6b4b47a1163df4ceab8d2d5.png

This is the one I'm now using from June

1590168908_Screenshot(406).png.b34d8e6e0d818f9f68211b82b4d5c3d4.png

And this is the one I just downloaded and installed on office computer to test. Take note that I had to install a Microsoft Visual CC update for it to run. Notice that Null Soft is now gone and it's now Winamp. Obviously someone new has bought it and has plans. This could be good, this could be bad. I play around with it later and see if it has changed. Doesn't really look like it.  

1841701382_Screenshot(408).png.96f432c87b99247d9898e8ed1d831f5c.png

Possibly mine looks different because I use the Classic skin which you can choose during install. I'm not sure if you can re skin it later.  What's weird is my DAW computer doesn't have a Menu bar like all my other versions do. I have to click in the upper left corner. 

1124121079_Screenshot(405).png.56f5bbfbdc06768639875914e3a963ed.png

• Thanks 1

I use CbB live with my synthpop duo

My partner is totally self contained, using three M-Audio USB keyboards to control the vast array of VST synths in Reason. 

I have CbB running in Playlist Mode with Sets 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B on my desktop.

I have recorded multitrack versions of songs which are mixed but not finalised into two track. If and when my partner plays whatever he does, I split the track and mute the part so he plays in with the mix. It works pretty well save for some problems with drivers sometimes when my laptop boots. I also have part backing vocals recorded by me minus the harmonic part he is singing. 

I also dedicate a track to controlling my TC Helicon Voicelive Rack (mutes, programme changes, effects assignments). I have my Roland AX Synth playing via wireless MIDI through CbB to play sounds on my own Roland FA06 which is fully loaded with the extensive soundsets and in 16 channel mode. I can play either the layered sounds on that from my AX or the AXs soundsets (although Roland have pissed many off by not having a dedicated laptop based editor). Finally, I have a MIDI track assigned to control our lighting rig - LED pars, moving heads, lasers and haze machine - via the DMXIS VST plug in. It takes a lot of time, patience and dedication, but it's worth it.

We recently took the whole rig onstage at a local festival and it was excellent. My partner and I gig twice or three times a month. The audience love it but aren't much aware of the hard work that goes on to create the event. They also don't know that all that spectacular event is created by freeware.

I started my journey in programming with Breakthru, moved onto a QY20, then Cubase for Windows 3.1 and finally Pro Audio 9. I've had Sonar 3 and Sonar 8 and just 'evolved' with CbB which ticks all the boxes and is firstly easy to manipulate and easy to mix with. If Cakewalk fixed the annoying traits like stop indicators it wwould be fabulous.

HARDDRIVE

Edited by Harddrive
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Oh I don't comment much and not savvy w the acronyms. I'm liking these comments they are very germane to what I need to know. What is CbB? Is it Bandlab Cakewalk? I've used WinAmp and love that you can have more than one instance of it open at the same time, thus two identical playlists open or different ones to quickly pick next from a large list, plus STOP at end of ea play, it's essential. I use very old computers bc the software & hardware I find easiest and WORKS (PCDJ Red 5.2) also stops after each play but has a kill date and won't work with anything after XP! So old but works. Have to keep comp OFF WiFi, never update, and backdate the comp too.  Made for DJ's so A & B players can keep music going when needed. Again, old tech.

Edited by isingit@netscape.net
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, isingit@netscape.net said:

Oh I don't comment much and not savvy w the acronyms. I'm liking these comments they are very germane to what I need to know. What is CbB? Is it Bandlab Cakewalk? I've used WinAmp and love that you can have more than one instance of it open at the same time, thus two identical playlists open or different ones to quickly pick next from a large list, plus STOP at end of ea play, it's essential. I use very old computers bc the software & hardware I find easiest and WORKS (PCDJ Red 5.2) also stops after each play but has a kill date and won't work with anything after XP! So old but works. Have to keep comp OFF WiFi, never update, and backdate the comp too.  Made for DJ's so A & B players can keep music going when needed. Again, old tech.

CbB = Cakewalk by Bandlab, a Windows-based DAW [Digital Audio Workstation]

Bandlab is the owner of Cakewalk by Bandlab who also owns the web-based browser music productivity called Bandlab.

I have used WinAmp (including the use of multiple instances), but not as discussed above.

If you are using a 32-bit PC with XP or an earlier Microsoft OS [Operating System], CbB is not for you.  From what I understand, it is no longer safe to use web browsers under XP, if that's even possible. I have not tried to run Bandlab on an XP, but I would be extremely surprised if it worked.

I just looked up PCDJ Red.  It looks like very old software from 2008 and was discontinued at least 10 years ago, according to the 2022 PCDJ website.

JMO [Just My Opinion]: If PCDJ works for you, don't let anyone tell you you have to get a newer PC and newer software.  On the other hand, if you want to upgrade your hardware and software, that's up to you.

Edited by User 905133
added some details

• 2 months later...

Hi Harddrive,

About this : (Finally, I have a MIDI track assigned to control our lighting rig - LED pars, moving heads, lasers and haze machine - via the DMXIS VST plug in. It takes a lot of time, patience and dedication, but it's worth it.)

this is exactly what I wanna do,

-can you post some screen shot of example of a lighting track (midi command etc). 
-so you control by this pluf in, what is the physical interface DMX-midi you are using for it?

do you need to use another software to make the lighting scenes?

thank you

Remy

@remyhardyIt was a long time ago but my brief use of Midi with DMX  was the DMX controller board stored scenes and that was All I did so it was as simple as sending a program change to the controller. Very basic light show. We never did the flashing lights in time thing it wasn't really appropriate for the type of places we played. I think I used Ch 16. I'm sure I could have dimmed the lights too and I do believe that would be using CC events just like music. But I think each light needed it's own midi channel?? Sorry can't remember that was the 80's.  

My plans were to look for a very basic DMX controller to use with my cheepo LED lights and use Cakewalks Playlist instead of Win Amp. I would still only use mastered wave files in the projects with the say 3 tracks, Bass, Drums, Keyboards. Then 2 midi tracks. One for lights and one for my Lexicon processor. Down the road possibly a guitar pedal board that used midi.  

@John Vere, I see. But i just bouht a DMX open from enttec to test it and I will try to understand how it works with CBB,  but i figure that it could be done in one track with the plugin in it but i don t know yet how it works. If someone can explain how to set it up with a soft like freestyler instead of a physical console, i would appreciate it. 

On 2/16/2023 at 6:00 AM, remyhardy said:

About this : (Finally, I have a MIDI track assigned to control our lighting rig - LED pars, moving heads, lasers and haze machine - via the DMXIS VST plug in. It takes a lot of time, patience and dedication, but it's worth it.)

this is exactly what I wanna do

I had a post about this somewhere on the old forums, seems like!  Anyway, I used to play live with Cakewalk as my backing band (proudly programmed/recorded mostly also by myself), and I eventually added lights & DMX controls to the live projects, also tried using the DMXIS VST plugin. -I dumped the plugin in favor of using the standalone DMXIS control app and having Cakewalk MIDI tracks control that for the live lighting control.

My method is a bit time consuming to both initially set up, and even explain, but basically, I use the DMXIS by Entech USB to DMX interface (I think they still make them) as my DMX output device. (-That is also how I got the bundled DMXIS app & license, etc.) -I also use a free app on Windows called LoopMIDI - this allows one to route MIDI from one Windows app to another (by creating virtual MIDI ports).

So, long story short, you create a MIDI track, or several, in Cakewalk to control the DMXIS app - such as change presets, control individual faders, so you can even control individual fixture DMX features that way. -It gets complicated though, and I made my own custom setups for the whole thing to work, but that even allows me to put automation lanes in Cakewalk that, via creating .ins definitions, show the fixtures/parameters I am automating by name in Cakewalk. I could also match patch changes to DMXIS presets that way too, but it seemed too rigid that way.

Anyway, I don't know that my method would be a project for an easy lighting rig setup, but my overall point is that Cakewalk for sound backing and DMXIS for lighting control can work together quite well, at least in my experience. -Everyone has differing approaches to it, naturally, and the one that you like and understand the best is the way to go!

I was using an Atari so I’d be very surprised if Cakewalk couldn’t do what I did in 1988.  
I used to get stuck doing lights for the gigs i was was doing sound for and slowly learned my way around the world of lights and DMX stuff.  You need to be on acid to do a decent job of it.  

Thank you  jn Tune Tech, sounds good. I bought the enttec open as below so i can try it when I receive it in 6 days from now and I’ll tell you about it. What I don’t know is if I will get the licence of DMXIS included with it and also if the midi will work with this model. Thx again, I appreciate

06346F9A-27C7-433B-BA06-B9066C10BE42.png

Wow, thanks for the screenshot - looks like a different model than what I use, but the same manufacturer.  -Just a few notes also wanted to mention: Cakewalk doesn't address DMX directly, in fact MIDI itself is not convertible as such. That is why, when you buy a USB to DMX interface, you will need an appropriate program of some kind to access it. That is possible in Cakewalk with something like the DMXIS VST plugin, however that one is rather limited in scope, in my experiences with it.

I also recall not liking to use the plugin, because by default, when the DMXIS plugin loses contact with the USB, the lights all go to zero (off). So, every time I closed a Cakewalk project to open another one (I generally put one song per project together for live events, and choose on the fly), the lights would all zero out. -Perhaps DMXIS has changed this - I would check the DMXIS forum - they used to be fairly good at answering questions, similar to the great folks here.

And again, in general, to use a DMX adapter, you will have to have some kind of controller. You mentioned some other visualization type of app I think, as what you may want to be using. You will in any case need something, and that something has to be compatible with (so it will recognize) the USB adapter you choose first. Then, many such apps are MIDI controllable - and if so, that is where you would possibly get to add MIDI control tracking from within Cakewalk. This forum is aimed mostly at Cakewalk - so you may only get advice on that particular part of the solution here!    -I'm sure whatever happens, it will be an interesting adventure, I really love being able to play a show from within Cakewalk, and have all of the sound, lights, & hazers, etc. synced up when I just hit play.   -Cheers!

• 1 month later...

@JnTuneTech ikeep on testing my open dmx from entec, using it with loopBE1 (witch is like loopmidi) and QLC+ for now, so far I can make it work and I now wanna control it by midi in cakewalk. Could you share an example of your .ins file for me to understand more how you use midi commands to control your fixtures and scenes please. I still don’t understand how I can find a plan or create one to control them (Program change, CC, notes etc) so an example of .ins file will help me to figure it I guess as well as if you know a link that can explane how midi commands affect fictures and scenes. Thx

Edited by remyhardy

• msmcleod changed the title to Seeking advice on a setup to use Cakewalk live