SI-Electric Bass click

DallasSteve

Question

I was playing back a song I created in Cakewalk and I heard an electronic click sporadically in the playback.  I experimented with soloing the tracks until I found the track causing the click noise.  It was the bass track which is assigned to the free SI-Electric Bass virtual instrument that comes with Cakewalk.  I experimented and found that the click is being caused because I created the notes to fill each eighth note division and there was no "breath" or space in between the notes.  I found that if I reduce the length of the notes by a small amount the click goes away.  I can live with that solution but I wonder if anyone knows of another way to eliminate this problem.  Maybe there is some setting in the virtual instrument that I can change.

2 answers to this question

Probably an unavoidable nature of the beast.  Sounds like it's using a single 'voice' to play the new note, and cutting of the release of the previous one in a way that's creating a discontinuity in the signal. Zooming in on the bounced/frozen waveform should show that. I'm not sure offhand how much the SI Bass attack and timbre changes with velocity, but you might mitigate it by using lower event velocities and raising the gain/volume to get the desired loudness.

• Like 1