UJAM Silk - nylon-stringed concert guitar ( $29 - AudioPlugin Deals )

aidan o driscoll

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

Damn right, thanks Aidan! This one even allows us to play melody, and adds a bass, compared to Amber. 

Silk doesn't seem to have the Instrument Mode that lets you play individual notes. How do you play melody?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, daveiv said:

Silk doesn't seem to have the Instrument Mode that lets you play individual notes. How do you play melody?

If you watch the tutorial video, you set the style and/or pattern by pressing a keyswitch, then hold a note down and the virtual guitarist plays the selected "melody" in that key/chord.

UJAM added the Instrument Mode to the version 2 virtual guitarists, where you can play the notes yourself. As far as I can tell, only VG-Carbon (technically a "version 2") and VG-Iron 2 have this ability. I also have VG-Sparkle, and it does NOT have Instrument Mode.

The Virtual Bassists all have an Instrument Mode.

Edit: another feature that UJAM added to virtual guitars in v2 was the MIDI pattern drag and drop that allows you to move patterns from the instrument UI to your DAW track. The virtual basses have this as well. The interesting thing about this feature is that the MIDI pattern is transposed to the note you are playing/holding at the time you click-drag the pattern out. Very cool!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

VG Carbon has instrument mode. Silk and Sparkle dont .. yet

Yep, I mentioned VG-Carbon in my last comment. It was released after the UJAM v2 updates were released, and was the first totally new VG to have the new feature set, so UJAM didn't tag it as v2.

But Silk, Amber, and Sparkle do not have the new feature set yet. I got Sparkle in a giveaway years ago, and was disappointed with the limitations. Holding out on Silk and Amber until they are upgraded.

I did buy Carbon and Iron 2 because of the new feature additions. And I have all of the UJAM basses. :)

Edited by abacab

2 hours ago, daveiv said:

Anyone using SILK or another guitar VI for songwriting, only to be replaced by a real performance later?

I have. i use these vst guitar instuments for an alt way to find ideas and then learn them on my guitars. I have 2 strats, a Peavey impact ( my daily ), a Yamaha cutaway Classical and a tanglewood big body acoustic.

Also - partic classical guitar it can be hard to record on puter, as in get the live sound you hear

Here is a version of a BLUE NILE track we did a while back. Using the yamaha classical above - solo at about 2.18 on. Was happy with that ( using Cakewalk at time )

http://www.tidalsound.com/mp3/lets go out tonight.mp3

Then more recently used it at the end of a new track we did .. not as happy

https://www.colourtide.com

End of Getting On track 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

I have. i use these vst guitar instuments for an alt way to find ideas and then learn them on my guitars. I have 2 strats, a Peavey impact ( my daily ), a Yamaha cutaway Classical and a tanglewood big body acoustic.

Also - partic classical guitar it can be hard to record on puter, as in get the live sound you hear

Here is a version of a BLUE NILE track we did a while back. Using the yamaha classical above - solo at about 2.18 on. Was happy with that ( using Cakewalk at time )

http://www.tidalsound.com/mp3/lets go out tonight.mp3

Then more recently used it at the end of a new track we did .. not as happy

https://www.colourtide.com

End of Getting On track

That's the strategy in my mind. I also use drum VSTs to learn drumming patterns and such.

Last 16 hours for the UJAM Silk discount, by the way.

• Like 2