Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I use Cakewalk offline. I am told activation offline needs to be  done. When trying to do this it says I have to 'choose' the apps tab (in bandlab?)  However I can't find an 'Apps Tab'. Can anyone help?  (Also if I don't sort this out before the time - 7 days - runs out can I or can't I continue to use Cakewalk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Kaye said:

I use Cakewalk offline. I am told activation offline needs to be  done. When trying to do this it says I have to 'choose' the apps tab (in bandlab?)  However I can't find an 'Apps Tab'. Can anyone help?  (Also if I don't sort this out before the time - 7 days - runs out can I or can't I continue to use Cakewalk?

Well, you can still use it. But you can't save anything.

Which means if you come up with an excellent idea you can't save it and that's a bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Open Cakewalk on your offline computer. Click the "help" tab then "offline activation"/export offline activation request. This file is then copied to a flash drive to use on an "online computer" to get the activation file that you transfer back to your "offline computer"  Just google Cakewalk by Bandlab offline activation" for exact instructions. You will need Bandlab Assistant or Cakewalk installed on an "online" computer even if you only use it for activation purposes. Might seem a little tricky the first time you do it , but it's Very easy and I never have a problem if I need to reactivate that way..   mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whereas 5/10 years ago there was reason NOT to keep a pc on line all the time, there really is no reason not to nowadays. You’re just making activation complicated.

Of course purists and, dare i say it, luddites, will scream and shout that you must never keep a DAW on line. But, Hell if the PC guru from Sound on Sound says its ok to be connected, well, its possibly true, no ?

YMMV of course, and i respect your Point of View. Its just not mine.

yJ

  • Like 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bdickens said:

At the very least, there shouldn't be any harm in connecting once in awhile to get updates, etc....

But that means having to dig the 56k modem out of the storage box in the garage and dusting it off... 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coincidentally, I found myself without internet this week and got the message that I needed to reactivate my Cakewalk or lose being able to use it.   Saturday a week ago lightning fried my satellite internet router and the earliest I could get someone here to install a new one was ten days out.  So, I had a work around.  I connected my computer which has a USB WIFI (very cheap) to my cellphone hotspot and was able to activate my Cakewalk.  I had a minimal cell data plan but enough for that and to keep me on the internet for a little while.  I hope the guy that Viasat sends shows up tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2022 at 9:41 PM, bdickens said:

At the very least, there shouldn't be any harm in connecting once in awhile to get updates, etc....

The only harm then is Windows Update! 😆

Frankly, if there was not always this threat from Windows Update, then I would agree. There are 2 things that disturb me then: 1.) The updates are time consuming, 2.) there maybe some settings (happens all the time) or driver changed. Not that I mind security updates, but especially feature updates are (or have been) worthless for me.

Nevertheless I do it like you proposed with my mixing pc, but on my recording machine I can't, because I do not have internet in the barn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, marled said:

The only harm then is Windows Update! 😆

Frankly, if there was not always this threat from Windows Update, then I would agree. There are 2 things that disturb me then: 1.) The updates are time consuming, 2.) there maybe some settings (happens all the time) or driver changed. Not that I mind security updates, but especially feature updates are (or have been) worthless for me.

Nevertheless I do it like you proposed with my mixing pc, but on my recording machine I can't, because I do not have internet in the barn.

You do realise you can turn off the windows update service ?

J

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Windows update service has a bad habit of turning itself back on lol. 

Then  you haven’t also disabled Update Medic Service …..

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...