Offline Activation

David Kaye

I use Cakewalk offline. I am told activation offline needs to be  done. When trying to do this it says I have to 'choose' the apps tab (in bandlab?)  However I can't find an 'Apps Tab'. Can anyone help?  (Also if I don't sort this out before the time - 7 days - runs out can I or can't I continue to use Cakewalk?

2 hours ago, David Kaye said:

I use Cakewalk offline. I am told activation offline needs to be  done. When trying to do this it says I have to 'choose' the apps tab (in bandlab?)  However I can't find an 'Apps Tab'. Can anyone help?  (Also if I don't sort this out before the time - 7 days - runs out can I or can't I continue to use Cakewalk?

Well, you can still use it. But you can't save anything.

Which means if you come up with an excellent idea you can't save it and that's a bummer.

Open Cakewalk on your offline computer. Click the "help" tab then "offline activation"/export offline activation request. This file is then copied to a flash drive to use on an "online computer" to get the activation file that you transfer back to your "offline computer"  Just google Cakewalk by Bandlab offline activation" for exact instructions. You will need Bandlab Assistant or Cakewalk installed on an "online" computer even if you only use it for activation purposes. Might seem a little tricky the first time you do it , but it's Very easy and I never have a problem if I need to reactivate that way..   mark

Whereas 5/10 years ago there was reason NOT to keep a pc on line all the time, there really is no reason not to nowadays. You’re just making activation complicated.

Of course purists and, dare i say it, luddites, will scream and shout that you must never keep a DAW on line. But, Hell if the PC guru from Sound on Sound says its ok to be connected, well, its possibly true, no ?

YMMV of course, and i respect your Point of View. Its just not mine.

yJ

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

Coincidentally, I found myself without internet this week and got the message that I needed to reactivate my Cakewalk or lose being able to use it.   Saturday a week ago lightning fried my satellite internet router and the earliest I could get someone here to install a new one was ten days out.  So, I had a work around.  I connected my computer which has a USB WIFI (very cheap) to my cellphone hotspot and was able to activate my Cakewalk.  I had a minimal cell data plan but enough for that and to keep me on the internet for a little while.  I hope the guy that Viasat sends shows up tomorrow.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:41 PM, bdickens said:

At the very least, there shouldn't be any harm in connecting once in awhile to get updates, etc....

The only harm then is Windows Update! 😆

Frankly, if there was not always this threat from Windows Update, then I would agree. There are 2 things that disturb me then: 1.) The updates are time consuming, 2.) there maybe some settings (happens all the time) or driver changed. Not that I mind security updates, but especially feature updates are (or have been) worthless for me.

Nevertheless I do it like you proposed with my mixing pc, but on my recording machine I can't, because I do not have internet in the barn.

24 minutes ago, marled said:

The only harm then is Windows Update! 😆

Frankly, if there was not always this threat from Windows Update, then I would agree. There are 2 things that disturb me then: 1.) The updates are time consuming, 2.) there maybe some settings (happens all the time) or driver changed. Not that I mind security updates, but especially feature updates are (or have been) worthless for me.

Nevertheless I do it like you proposed with my mixing pc, but on my recording machine I can't, because I do not have internet in the barn.

You do realise you can turn off the windows update service ?

J

• Great Idea 1

• 9 months later...

I'm with David Kaye. I downloaded and installed the bandlab assistant and my computer is also not showing an "apps tab" as described in the instructions. Every other person who has come on with no valid answer about the faulty instructions re: offline activation and saying "dude, just marry the internet like me - I don't even think twice" is not helpful and those "answers" are irrelevant and/or otherwise fallacious.

The elephant in the room: If one legitimately purchases or downloads "free" software, it is theirs to own. The program should not open conditionally, or on a privileged use by use basis. This is neither functional nor ethical. No function of the program that I want to use requires internet. This new trend is troubling and totally unnecessary. Period. Think about it, I downloaded the program FROM THEIR WEBSITE. That is where any necessary verification should occur, and one-time.

I actually came to Cakewalk looking for an alternative to Cubase, whose program I acquired via purchase, used for years - with many ongoing projects - and was booted out of during a computer switch - not because I did not have a valid license, but because Cubase arbitrarily decided to discontinue (from all users of that program) the users ability to reactivate a valid, purchased license for a program they deemed outdated (as in I was told I owned but was apparently just renting). Thus, no access to the purchased software (I think this is criminal). Now, here, it is a similar set up, even if the users here haven't experienced it yet. Those who are willing to go along with every new shiny update unquestioningly and be in a constant state of adaptation to new versions and new updates and basically live on computers everyday probably won't have to deal with this. But, everyone should not be expected to want to go that route with their life. I am not interested in that. Just wanna get some tracks recorded in a familiar and consistent workspace. I'm here to record music.

This new trend of constant online check-ins is the stepping stone to the unethical subscription based program model. "You will own nothing and be happy." I want to own a single program, a single version, used on my devoted audio creation computer in my barn that does not link to internet, which is reasonable.  A reliable piece of equipment just like my guitar (which also doesn't link to the internet). To have no alternative is unreasonable. To require repeated check-ins to run the same old program on the same old computer is unreasonable. It means you do not own the program.

Edited by Alan Cook Music
typo
  • Meh 2

59 minutes ago, Alan Cook Music said:

I actually came to Cakewalk looking for an alternative to Cubase, whose program I acquired via purchase, used for years - with many ongoing projects - and was booted out of during a computer switch - not because I did not have a valid license, but because Cubase arbitrarily decided to discontinue (from all users of that program) the users ability to reactivate a valid, purchased license for a program they deemed outdated (as in I was told I owned but was apparently just renting). Thus, no access to the purchased software (I think this is criminal).

You don't own software. You are granted a license to use it per the EULA, which may or may not involve a financial transaction of some sort.

Now, here, it is a similar set up, even if the users here haven't experienced it yet. Those who are willing to go along with every new shiny update unquestioningly and be in a constant state of adaptation to new versions and new updates and basically live on computers everyday probably won't have to deal with this. But, everyone should not be expected to want to go that route with their life. I am not interested in that. Just wanna get some tracks recorded in a familiar and consistent workspace. I'm here to record music.

Strawman argument. You are not required to update. Nor are you required to "live on computers." (Of course, what do you think you're doing when you are  spending hour upon hour each day  "Just.. get[ting] some tracks recorded?"

This new trend of constant online check-ins is the stepping stone to the unethical subscription based program model.

Another strawman, as well as a slippery slope.  There is no "constant online check-in" for CbB. Once every six months. Not even that if you can conquer your fear and connect to the internet once in a while while CbB is running.

Also, explain to us dunderheads why subscriptions are "unethical." Really. Inquiring minds want to know.

a single version, used on my devoted audio creation computer in my barn that does not link to internet, which is reasonable.  A reliable piece of equipment just like my guitar (which also doesn't link to the internet). To have no alternative is unreasonable.

What is unreasonable is thinking you can dictate terms to those who do own the software. Which, again, is not you.

Besides there are numerous alternatives.

To require repeated check-ins to run the same old program on the same old computer is unreasonable. It means you do not own the program.

For the third time, you don't own software. You are granted a license to use a copy of it.

I find myself much happier living in the world of what is instead of trying to live in the world of what if....

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Like 3

Seems a loosing battle to me about avoiding the internet or cell data plans. You can keep riding your horse or you can by a Automobile. Nobodies stopping you but you will be left in the dust. 

I totally sympathize with people who do live where there is no choice or it's overpriced. But that is rare for sure even in the 3rd world. 

These people might not have an issue once Cakewalk announces it's game plan for purchasing of the  new versions. We will wait and see if they remove the time out from CbB 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I am online and I still keep getting the Activation required pop up every time I open up Bandlab? Says Cakewalk must be reactivated within 6 days. Update activation status before time runs out. 

I have logge out, and back in again, and also refreshed activation a few times while I'm online to no avail?

Any suggestions?

20 hours ago, Hotel California said:

Hi Everyone,

I am online and I still keep getting the Activation required pop up every time I open up Bandlab? Says Cakewalk must be reactivated within 6 days. Update activation status before time runs out. 

I have logge out, and back in again, and also refreshed activation a few times while I'm online to no avail?

Any suggestions?

What do you see when you hit refresh activation?