Authentic Soundware: Jazz Drums (Soft Launch Sale)

pseudopop

I just ran into this while browsing VI-Control:

During our soft launch, we're offering VI-Control users an exclusive discount! 50% OFF with promo code HALFNOTE

This discount will be applied in addition to the already discounted introductory price.

This offer expires on August 31, 2022.

Looks like they currently only have jazz drums for sale, but you can get the full bundle for $27.50* with the code. The bundle contains two loop collections and a Kontakt** instrument.

https://authentic-soundware.com/products

VI-Control thread

* They use FastSpring, so add VAT & currency conversion if applicable. For me the price is 35.67 € inc. 24% VAT

** Requires version 6.7.0 or later of the full retail version of Kontakt. Does not support the free Kontakt Player.

Edited by pseudopop
  • Like 1

I love the tone! It's definitely not a detailed drum sample library, but it sounds soooo good and it's inexpensive. My personal pros and cons as a former drummer and lover of jazz who actually got to hang out with Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson when I was a young drummer -- two of the greats. 

PROS
- It sounds great! 
- It's only 15 bucks for a KONTAKT library.
- I love supported new indie devs and I love the vibe of this dev's site. It's sooo cool! 

CONS 
- No functional GU  -- just a picture -- so there's no simple way to mix, you have to do it old school, the way KONTAKT libraries were a decade or more ago where it's just a series of individual drums loaded in and you have to adjust each one individually which is a major inconvenience to the point where I try to avoid those libraries. Consider how NI's drum kit libraries like the Abbey Road Series and Studio Drummer are laid out. It's not quite as polished as a dedicated drum VST like  Superior Drummer, ezDrummer, Addictive Drums or BFD, but it does the job. This makes adjustments a major inconvenience. I stopped using KONTAKT libraries laid out like this because they're so inconvenient.  
- I'm so in love with that sound that I sense I'm going to cave. We need people to talk us down, is anyone up for that? The next 24 hours are going to be tough. 

What to do...what to do...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I'm guessing it's mostly just triggering pre-recorded drum loops with a single key press?

I'm pretty sure it's a fully playable drum kit.

What’s included

For each mix, we provide a Kontakt .nkm (multi) file for the whole drum set, and .nki files for each instrument of the kit. Samples include kick, snare (sticks and brushes, flams, rolls, drags), cross-stick, low tom, high tom, hi-hats (closed, half-open, open, pedal, and more), ride cymbal, crash cymbal, various combo hits.

Features:

- Highly-playable Kontakt patches with multiple round robins for almost every sample.
- Two mix options for every sample (classic, vintage)
- Vintage drums and cymbals recorded with classic Neuman and RCA microphones

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I stumbled on this thread and thought I might just chime in, since I'm the developer of these sounds!

So, yeah, sorry for the confusion. There are two types of products. There's a Kontakt instrument, which is a playable drum kit, and then there are two loop packs of WAV files (which also include some one-shots). The Kontakt instrument's samples where made during the same recording as the loops, so it blends perfectly with the loops for adding fills, intros, breaks, etc.

To @PavlovsCat point, at the moment the GUI is pretty bare bones (😬), but there is a new GUI in the works that will be a free upgrade for existing users! So stay tuned for that. But, honestly, the point of this library is not tweaking, it's playing! All the tone was baked into the samples as they were recorded, just the way they used to do it. And because it's not trying to be the one and only drum library you'll ever need, it is very light weight, loads up super fast, never chokes your computer, and is super fun to play, IMHO 😉

That summer sale expired a week ago, but there's a day left on the Labor Day sale...no pressure....srsly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Authentic Soundware said:

Hey there,

I stumbled on this thread and thought I might just chime in, since I'm the developer of these sounds!

So, yeah, sorry for the confusion. There are two types of products. There's a Kontakt instrument, which is a playable drum kit, and then there are two loop packs of WAV files (which also include some one-shots). The Kontakt instrument's samples where made during the same recording as the loops, so it blends perfectly with the loops for adding fills, intros, breaks, etc.

To @PavlovsCat point, at the moment the GUI is pretty bare bones (😬), but there is a new GUI in the works that will be a free upgrade for existing users! So stay tuned for that. But, honestly, the point of this library is not tweaking, it's playing! All the tone was baked into the samples as they were recorded, just the way they used to do it. And because it's not trying to be the one and only drum library you'll ever need, it is very light weight, loads up super fast, never chokes your computer, and is super fun to play, IMHO 😉

That summer sale expired a week ago, but there's a day left on the Labor Day sale...no pressure....srsly

Congratulations on a beautiful sounding drum library! I'm a former semi-pro drummer and super picky about drum libraries, and I absolutely love the tone of your library in the demos, it truly does sound fantastic. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 8:14 PM, Authentic Soundware said:

. . . There's a Kontakt instrument, which is a playable drum kit, and then there are two loop packs of WAV files (which also include some one-shots). The Kontakt instrument's samples where made during the same recording as the loops, so it blends perfectly with the loops for adding fills, intros, breaks, etc. . .

I, too, like the sound, but I have to admit I was disappointed by the loops. I listened to the demos but I didn't realize the loops would all be swinging as hard as they are. I was hoping that at least some of them would be in straight(ish) rhythm (is that the correct way to say it?).

Also, after a quick listen they all seem to be quite fast, so not really suitable for laid back night club jazz. You know, something like this:

(Best game soundtrack ever, IMO. Edit: Actually, Age of Conan by Knut Avenstroup Haugen takes the top place. This is second.)

Edited by pseudopop