Extertnal Insert - De Coupling not working

El Gato Loco

29 minutes ago, El Gato Loco said:

I really hope Cakewalk development team take in serious consideration reviewind the External Insert plugin to work as it should

I'm sure that the Cakewalk devs are doing the best they can with the resources that they have. The number of additions and fixes they have produced in the last 4+ years is nothing short of amazing. I would never even think of using Sonar Producer again, and I was a paying Sonar Platinum Lifetime user.

It's been a long road for them I'm sure, but the program is much better now than it ever was!

If you have suggestions for Cakewalk improvements, suggest that you drop them in the Feedback Loop forum where they are more likely to be seen by development staff:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

"Provide feedback on features, ideas and requests for future releases of Cakewalk by BandLab."

34 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm sure that the Cakewalk devs are doing the best they can with the resources that they have. The number of additions and fixes they have produced in the last 4+ years is nothing short of amazing. I would never even think of using Sonar Producer again, and I was a paying Sonar Platinum Lifetime user.

It's been a long road for them I'm sure, but the program is much better now than it ever was!

If you have suggestions for Cakewalk improvements, suggest that you drop them in the Feedback Loop forum where they are more likely to be seen by development staff:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

"Provide feedback on features, ideas and requests for future releases of Cakewalk by BandLab."

Don't get me wrong.

I love Cakewalk. Also the way Mackie is implemented now is FAR MORE BETTER than Studio One.
I'm sure they are doing the best to fix all the bugs and make improvements and yes, I will follow your suggestion to provide feedback.

I think Outboard Gear is becoming more and more popular and I think this will be a plus for cakewalk to mange it properly.

The External Insert limitation to EAT 2 channels at a time may be simple to resolve. At least I hope so.

For now. Cakewalk is unbeatable!

25 minutes ago, El Gato Loco said:

I think Outboard Gear is becoming more and more popular and I think this will be a plus for cakewalk to mange it properly.

I started with outboard synths, but am now all in the box. I think that is the trend these days.

6 hours ago, El Gato Loco said:

Don't get me wrong.

I love Cakewalk. Also the way Mackie is implemented now is FAR MORE BETTER than Studio One.
I'm sure they are doing the best to fix all the bugs and make improvements and yes, I will follow your suggestion to provide feedback.

The External Insert limitation to EAT 2 channels at a time may be simple to resolve. At least I hope so.

For now. Cakewalk is unbeatable!

Unfortunately it's not easy to solve. but it is high on our to-do list.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 5:33 PM, msmcleod said:

Something isn't right here... I've set up the same myself and getting the same result.  I think its a bug.  I'll need to look into it further.

In the meantime, if you can sacrifice input/outputs 6 and 8,  just use input/outputs 5  and 7, ditch all the aux tracks, and use a separate external insert on each track.

The external insert is restricted to stereo pairs, so you can use the left of 5/6  (i.e. 5) for one external insert,, and the left of 7/8 ( i.e. 7 ) on the other.

@El Gato Loco - this bug has been fixed in the latest EA, so my original instructions for the workaround should now work:

On 9/19/2022 at 6:47 PM, abacab said:

Just kidding of course. A fine example of Craig still putting in the hard work like he did to explain the workings of Cakewalk Sonar to us mere mortals... 🤣

shame he deleted that thread after monetising it

On 8/29/2022 at 3:23 AM, msmcleod said:

1. Set the output of Guitar 1 to a new Aux track  ( Aux 1 )
2. Rename this track to "dbx 266"
3. Now set the output of Guitar 1, and Guitar 2 to a new Bus,
4. Rename this bus to "Silent" and turn it's volume down all the way.
4. Create a new send on Guitar 1 to "dbx 266 L"
5. Create a new send on Guitar 2 to "dbx 266 R"
6. Put your external insert in the FX bin of the "dbx 266" aux track 
7. Set the input / output of the external insert to Focusrite 5/6
8. Create two new audio tracks:  "Guitar 1 ret" and "Guitar 2 ret"
9. Set the input of "Guitar 1 ret"  to "dbx 266 L"
10. Set the input of "Guitar 2 ret" to "dbx 266 R"

I see a number of issues with this setup - mainly that the return tracks are set to pick up the dry signal from the same Patch Point that's sending to the Aux track, not the processed signal being returned to the Aux track. Also, I don't see that the silent bus is needed.  I would suggest the following:

1. Set the Outputs of both source tracks to the new Aux track named generically 'EI Host' and pan them hard left and right.

2. Add the External Insert to the FX Bin on 'EI Host' and assign Out 5/6 and In 5/6 as suggested.

3. Output the 'EI Host' track to a new Patch Point.

4. Create the two "EI Return (L)" and "EI Return (R)" tracks and set their inputs to the left and right sides of the new Patch Point (renaming it "EI Return" in the process for clarity).

EDIT; Removed comment about mono Patch Point inputs not working because I had mistakenly not yet updated one of my machines. 

Edited by David Baay