Addictive Drums 2 setup question - How do I....

hockeyjx

Here is what I want to do: I want to separate all tracks of AD2 in to their own audio track, which I do know how to change the inputs(but no audio). I want to see the MIDI, and then convert each source to audio and have it in the track (keeping the mid in a midi track). I see in the Happy Go Lucky song template, there is all the midi data in one track, then it is separated out to audio - also, want to keep it in a DRUMS track folder. What is the most efficient way?

Pic 1 looks like the master MIDI, Pic 2 is audio of Kick/Snare/etc

Thanks in advance!

301234448_354188550133022_1989378791313331627_n.jpg

302956787_494861522467657_8009602897274683020_n.jpg

Edited by hockeyjx
  • Confused 1

Its hard to understand what you saying. Sounds like you want a kick track, snare with toms track and tops (cymbals) track is the reality to EQ.  Create 3 tracks call one kick, one snare (or mids and one tops. Duplicate the complete midi score or loop you have to the 3 tracks or copy and paste on 3 tracks. Delete everything less kick for kick track, delete everything less snare and so on. To edit the midi view piano roll.  For midi select all inputs or your midi controller but if you write midi in the DAW (piano view or step  seq) it doesn't matter about input as sounds like your instrument is addictive drums 2 and output is set as master which is sound card or audio device unless you route through a drum room bus.  

I will work with my media panel and plugin panel open on the right of my work space which you can collapse when working on track. I will create a folder  in the media folder view Audio library and midi library for each project. I added a screen grab, on the right you will see media view and i can drag drop either way, into project or out of project to keep master edits or changes or ideas and basic things i always need etc.  Hope one thing helps you  

image.png

• Like 1

That's why I am a guitar player :P I want to create the drum patterns through MIDI on AD2 or BFD3, so I want the midi grid to do that. Then once that is done, I want to separate those drums in to their own individual audio tracks and process how I want.

Messing around on my own, I feel like I am close, just not every step yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

That's why I am a guitar player :P I want to create the drum patterns through MIDI on AD2 or BFD3, so I want the midi grid to do that. Then once that is done, I want to separate those drums in to their own individual audio tracks and process how I want.

Messing around on my own, I feel like I am close, just not every step yet.

Yes that's sort of what i describe. Click on "view" in drop down then select piano view to write midi  or right click track and select view and in drop down then select piano view piano view... write all midi in there. Don't forget only about one octave on keyboard is drums mapped from maybe C3 to C5 on keyboard or in midi view.  Once you write your drums (drum  edit track)  then you split them up into 3 tracks to eq. You see all the views on image attached 

image.png

I was working on this yesterday and made progress, but still am curious to some things. I added the instrument per @tecknot , and that worked fine. I was able to get the midi how I wanted it. My problem is isolating the single pieces in a track. AD2, and maybe I have an old drum map or something, but it seems just to give me Overhead L or R as the only working option in the slew of tracks. I tried ALL the inputs for the tracks created, and cannot isolate any drum or hi-hat/etc - which is the same issue I have with BFD3 as well.

Also, how would I convert to audio permanently? 

• Like 1

To get audio recorded in the track receiving the sound you arm the track to record and then hit the record button. Then that track will record the incoming sound as audio. Sounds like it is working right for the overheads but still not routed right for the rest of the instruments. If you checked all the inputs for the tracks maybe check the outputs in the ad mixer section for each instrument. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I was working on this yesterday and made progress, but still am curious to some things. I added the instrument per @tecknot , and that worked fine. I was able to get the midi how I wanted it. My problem is isolating the single pieces in a track. AD2, and maybe I have an old drum map or something, but it seems just to give me Overhead L or R as the only working option in the slew of tracks. I tried ALL the inputs for the tracks created, and cannot isolate any drum or hi-hat/etc - which is the same issue I have with BFD3 as well.

Also, how would I convert to audio permanently? 

When you add i instrument (midi) i.e Addictive Drums 2, it will be default mapped and normally C3 on your keyboard is the kick or C3 in piano view, if that makes sense to you.  You can isolate in Addictive Drums 2 plugin in the kit view.  Mute everything less what you want i.e KICK or edit by clicking E which will take you to edit to tweak your kick. HOWEVER its better to isolate using tracks for many reasons like a sidechain.  If you have written a midi score with all the kit being used and you want to isolate the kick, the snare, toms and symbols add 4 Addictive Drums 2 tracks and copy paste your score into all the tracks you added. Rename one Addictive Drums 2 track to Kick delete everything out of the midi score less the kick and do same for the rest. This means you isolated  each instrument so you can EQ each track to suit or side chain your kick instead of the whole drum kit.  I think this is something you maybe trying to do. Probably good to sign up to creative Sause new  Cakewalk free program 

• Like 1