New Korg M1 vst3 crashes every project

1 hour ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

I have not submitted the error log because I do not know where to do that. Last time I tried, it would not let me send a file larger than 2Mb or something like this. 

Zip it first (which should get the size down a lot) and then upload it to a file sharing service like Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc. And then you can share the link to that zip to Korg / Cakewalk.

Ok, well if you're getting old projects to work, for the meantime, use the older version and freeze the synth on each of them, or bounce the track to audio, delete the M1 in it, save under a new name. That'll let those projects play without crashing.

Then install the one Korg recommends, and on any future projects, use that.

Edited by Lord Tim

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:
On 9/7/2022 at 6:37 AM, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

The only file in that path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\KORG\M1.dll.

that seems wrong, all my vst3 korgs have the .vst3 extension in that location (as opposed to .dll in the vst2 path)

I believe this is a typo or miscommunication with KORG support.

Even though they are actually dynamically linked libraries, all VST3 plug-in binaries MUST have a vst3 extension. Files with a dll extension under "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" are support files and are not scanned.

AFAIK KORG does not have any files with a dll extension in the VST3 area.

Like most manufacturers KORG permits users to specify where VST2 plug-in should be installed, however; some of their installers also put a copy of the VST2 binaries in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\KORG\Collection".

• Like 1

So, after uninstalling everything and re installing the original M1 vst and then updating the new one, here is what I have:

C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\KORG\M1.dll (1/28/2018  version1.8.0)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\KORG\Collection\M1.dll (7/98/2022  version 2.3.3

C:\Program Files (x86)\KORG\KORG Legacy\ M1.dll   (1/28/2018  version1.8.0)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\KORG\Korg.vst3

So, the vst 3 is there in the last folder (which is  a folder that CW scans for plugins.

When I open a new project and want to insert an instrument, I only see M1 vst3.  SO, shouldn't I be able to open an old project, skip all the m1 plugins, then replace them each with the vst3?   I just tried one and it works but of course, it plays Universe, which sounds ridiculous. So, again, I am stuck trying to figure out the sounds that I used.  Why is this so difficult? It is just a simple upgrade of a plugin.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. It shouldn't be this hard (and usually isn't for most/all other manufacturers).

If you scroll up to my post a little earlier, my suggestion was to just go back to the old version and freeze it off for now. If you remove all traces of the new VST3 one and install the old one, does that actually work without crashing? I'm not sure if you were clear on that or not. Not a fix but could get you out of trouble temporarily.

• Meh 1

On 9/9/2022 at 11:45 PM, Lord Tim said:

Yeah, that's ridiculous. It shouldn't be this hard (and usually isn't for most/all other manufacturers).

If you scroll up to my post a little earlier, my suggestion was to just go back to the old version and freeze it off for now. If you remove all traces of the new VST3 one and install the old one, does that actually work without crashing? I'm not sure if you were clear on that or not. Not a fix but could get you out of trouble temporarily.

I want to keep using the vst3. So I opened one project last night in safe mode, bypassed the m1, then replaced them all with the vst3.  It was a pain in the ***** to find the patches (7 of them) but I finally did it.  I don’t understand why it just doesn’t work.  The original dll is in its location and so is the vst 3.  They both should work but since I updated, every project crashes that uses the vst2.  Korg is useless.  I emailed them again yesterday asking them what the hell they are doing?  It’s been a week since they suggested anything.  I submitted the crash log to cakewalk a few days ago and am waiting to hear from them. 

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

The point I'm getting at is that all of your old projects can't open with the VST3 version, right? And the VST2 version works without crashing those older projects, correct?

If so, freeze off those projects using the VST2 version so you just have it there to open correctly and mix how you like, then remove that and install the VST3 version for current and ongoing projects.

You get the best of both worlds then.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Great Idea 1

I appreciate the suggestion, but that is just a workaround.  Yes, a workaround that will allow me to  use the projects. But so many of those projects were still in progress, that I would not be able to finish any m1 parts or even alter the lines I played. I would prefer it just to work instead of having to go through all of that.  It doesn’t seem to be too much to ask but Korg should be the one fixing it.  I am not discounting your suggestion.  It would work great if most of the projects were completed but they aren’t. It is like updating an iPhone  to the latest OS and I can no longer test, so I have to roll back to the last iOS, except now, I can only read my tests but cannot write new ones.  Or something like that.

i am confused about why the old projects  do not open if the same korg vst2 is in the sam location.  It should not matter that the new vst3 is in another location if that isn’t included in the project.

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

Korg isn't doing anything. They said that no one else has complained about it. They are suggesting that I uninstall the vst3 and install an older vst2. Somme support, huh?

On the other hand, I submitted the log to Cakewalk last week and also never heard back from them. I dont know how long it usually takes for them to get back to anyone. 

Given the crash was coming from M1.dll there is not much insight BandLab can provide.

12 minutes ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

Korg isn't doing anything. They said that no one else has complained about it. They are suggesting that I uninstall the vst3 and install an older vst2. Somme support, huh?

Unless the problem is repeatable on their end, it is unlikely any support group will be very helpful.

I have seen some reports where a plug-in will crash if the ExceptionHandlingSeverity in Preferences > File > Initialization File is set too high. The default value is 1 and should be left at 1 unless debugging a specific problem.

Sometimes bad plug-ins can have a knock-on effect. This is when some safe-mode sleuthing is necessary. Hold down the SHIFT key while opening a project to open in safe-mode. Sometimes this is enough to get a project to load OK. Sometimes stepping though all the plug-ins, allowing them to load one at a time is enough. Sometimes it takes skipping one or more plug-ins before the "crashing" plug-in loads correctly.

• Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 1:07 PM, abacab said:

KORG M1 Release Notes for Win/Mac:

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/4403869885081-M1

Version 2.3.3
    [PC] After updating to version 2.3.2, Cakewalk by BandLab would not open the project properly and initialize the synthesizer. This has been fixed.

Is Version 2.3.3 downloaded under the file name "M1_2_2_1?" Because that's the only version that I can see on Korg's Website.

Edited by Ed Driscoll

9 hours ago, Ed Driscoll said:

Is Version 2.3.3 downloaded under the file name "M1_2_2_1?" Because that's the only version that I can see on Korg's Website.

No, I've got "M1_2_3_3". Use KORG Software Pass to download the latest. That's where I got it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, abacab said:

No, I've got "M1_2_3_3". Use KORG Software Pass to download the latest. That's where I got it.

Oh great, thanks! I had the Korg Software Pass on my old computer, but completely forgot to install it on the new one.

Edited by Ed Driscoll
  • Like 1