Regarding the band...Tool.

RobertWS

I have tried so hard to like Tool.

It's a genre that should be right up my alley. Sophisticated arrangements, intricate melodies, adventurous sounds, impressive musicianship. But for some reason it just doesn't click with me. I can appreciate it intellectually but there's no dopamine. 

OTOH, if I was ever imprisoned in North Korea and being tortured for state secrets, I'd still prefer being blasted with Tool over, say, Kid Rock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah.....I know folks, some of them way more cleverer about music stuff than like what I am who consider MJK to be some kind of otherworldly genius. I can't say for sure that I've knowingly even heard anything by Tool, but somewhere I have A Perfect Circle album and also some Puscifer stuff, some of which I seem to remember quite liking parts of but seemingly not enough for me to remember what they are.

I guess, and I suspect this might not be a popular opinion in these parts, but for me he's like an American Steven Wilson........musically smart people say he's brilliant, but I just don't get it. I've tried -  I bought the first two Blackfield albums, but title track of the first one aside nothing ever really stuck in my mind.

Maybe I'm just too stupid.

I'm a Tool fan, and have been for 20(?) years. Something that has rubbed off on my sons, I'm pleased to say. My oldest son usually keep me up to date on the latest releases of bands he knows I like before I know about it myself 🤘

They're one of my top 10 favorites, I'd say. I like their older stuff better than the latest releases, but that's probably just me getting older and hang on to old favorites, I presume... 👴

They played in Oslo a month or so ago, and I didn't know about it until the day of the show (🥴), so no way to get (legal, and at 10 times the price) a ticket.

One of my nephews went without telling me, and he won't do that again ;) 

They are one of a few of my favorite bands I haven't gotten to see live, and probably never will (now).

I also like that they make all the music and vocals before handing it over to Danny Carey (the drummer). A thing my oldest son told me, and (supposedly) quoted from Maynard James Keenan (vocals) and Adam Jones (geetar) is that: "We finish everything before giving it over to Danny to *#@%  it up".

So, yeah... I'm a Tool (fan).

Huge fan. The irony is that I am not typically a fan of "prog" music (there are exceptions) but there's something about their music that just gets me on an emotional level.

I have never paid much attention to how clever their music is, although I guess it is - and they are terrific musicians. But that's the last thing I would think about when I am listening to them. But if I sit here and think about it, yeah, these are some rather sophisticated tunes.

@Rain

Hey, being Canadian, have you ever listened to the best Prog band from there (that's not named Rush)?

I'm referring to the Mystery.  I listen to them much more than Rush and I like Rush!

Here's one example album (I love Snowhite!): 

14 hours ago, craigb said:

Or, just not a Tool? 😁

I can't say. That's one of those things that only other people can decide. Plus, from my experience it seems that the thing about being a tool is that if you are a tool then you won't recognise that you are. 

It's similar to cool in that it's a description that only others can bestow upon you. If you think you are cool, then you're most certainly not. 

See also...self described "fun" people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulo said:

I can't say. That's one of those things that only other people can decide. Plus, from my experience it seems that the thing about being a tool is that if you are a tool then you won't recognise that you are. 

It's similar to cool in that it's a description that only others can bestow upon you. If you think you are cool, then you're most certainly not. 

See also...self described "fun" people.

Somewhere snowflakes are melting! 😆

17 hours ago, Zargg said:

I also like that they make all the music and vocals before handing it over to Danny Carey (the drummer). A thing my oldest son told me, and (supposedly) quoted from Maynard James Keenan (vocals) and Adam Jones (geetar) is that: "We finish everything before giving it over to Danny to *#@%  it up".

Reminds me of how Citizen Regen works. 🙂 Except Hugo doesn'y  *#@%  it up, he makes it yards better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Can't help thinking of Colin Hunt when I hear that phrase 😄

There's actually a plumber quite local to me called C.Hunt. The forever child in me has a little snigger every time I see his van. 

• Haha 1