Instrument Definitions - (INS-files)

Catweazle

The same question over and over again:
I have a new keyboard device and am looking for a corresponding instrument definition file (ins-file).

I find the creation of such instrument definitions as complex to get it done myself.

Is there a working group here that deals with this ?
And make them available here in general ?

In my case I am looking for a definition for a Korg Kronos.

Best regards

If its not available on line (I am assuming you checked thoroughly) I am wondering if are willing to try to do it old school.  That's what many of us used to do.  Yes, its complex and takes a lot of time, but if no one else has done it and made it available on line, someone has to be the first.  So why not you?  Another option would be for you to ask Korg to do it.  Its a long shot, but for some hardware I owned, eventually a fellow user (or two) wrote a patch editor / librarian (or two) and made a built-in feature to convert user banks to *.ins files.

I don't know if there is "working group" other than mostly dedicated Cakewalk users as a committee of the whole (i.e., the forum).

I believe there are documents useful for making *.ins files.  Personally, I never could use the built-on tool. It was too complicated for me.  It was much easier to find some examples from the product line that others did and then edit my own *.ins file using a basic editor (I used Notepad).

Have you tried?  Did you get any part of it working?  Maybe there's just a sticking point or two that others can help you out with. 

BTW, if you want others to help you, maybe you can post a link to the relevant docs?

PS: I took a quick look.  Would this (PCG2INS) help?

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add a link; (1) word changes for the sake of grammar and clarity

The Kronos Editor 3.1 available here is supposed to be able to create .INS files automatically, including any custom patches you've created on your keyboard. I don't have any experience using it, but it might be worth a try. 

The excerpt below mentions Macintosh software, but the link above is to the Windows version.

Capture.PNG.37103ee73d810f6c4fd813abd30b4b18.PNG

Edited by Variorum
  • Like 2