Toontrack Weekend Deals - ROCK! EZX & HEAVY ROCK GROOVES Midi

Bad Penguin

Guess that depends on your definition of "taken".

Apparently not taken verbatim, but some of the samples used in SDX may have been borrowed and remixed with new samples. At least that is how I interpret this Toontrack description...

https://www.toontrack.com/product/rock-ezx/

"Take Neil Dorfsman, a Grammy Award-winning engineer with four decades worth of experience and credits on some of the best selling rock records ever made, give him full access to drums recorded in the most renowned studios in the world and the freedom to blend, mix and match samples collected during his entire recording career, all in order to design the ultimate collection of rock drums. The end result you get is a jaw-dropping selection of completely unique kits unlike anything you have ever heard – hybrids of mixed and custom made drum sets, tailored for any kind of rock.

The Rock! EZX comes with eight custom drum kits based on selections from the near infinite Toontrack sound vaults, featuring rare and vintage drums recorded over the past decade in renowned studios like New York’s Allaire Studios, Blackbird Studios in Nashville and 2 Khz Studios in London. All sounds were handpicked and re-mixed through various outboard chains as well as layered with engineer Neil Dorfsman’s (Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Dire Straits) personal collection of samples."

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Might be you get what you paid for. Not a go to; for me.

Are you referring to Thomann? They have been a reliable seller for me! Even bought a DAW upgrade from them last year...

My preferred seller for Toontracks has been Best Service, but I generally go wherever the best deal is. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Are you referring to Thomann?

No, they have become my GOTO for most things ToonTrack.
I was referring  to the ROCK! EZX.
BTW, 6 packs are $83 (well two days ago) Last time I bought they were $89. (Euro vs USD?)

t

45 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

$28 makes it more tempting

about what its worth, IMHO (or not so humble opinion...)

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:07 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Might be you get what you paid for. Not a go to; for me. Was surprised I didn’t have the midi pack. Must admit at $10 I was “all in”. Not surprised that @Bapu didn’t chime in “installed”. 
Ed is maybe the only one more invested in the Toon eco system than I am…,

t

@DeeringAmps Well, I could say "installed"... but since their release was a ways back, they already were.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, Mark Stow said:

Found a killer deal at Thomann!

https://www.thomannmusic.com/toontrack_ezx_rock.htm

Wow, that is a great deal. I wish I could appreciate those drum sounds more though.  I love most Toontrack kits, but this one doesn't really sound that great to me. But I'll be watching Thomann Music for future Toontrack deals. I'm still using SD 2 and own the first version of ezDrummer, so I did contemplate picking up their upgrade when I saw it was $75 or $79 USD. Otherwise,  with SD2 running fine I was hoping that Toontrack will once again offer upgrade pricing for past customers when they release SD4. 

EDIT: It turns out that I already own the ezX! I just don't use it very much. 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Don’t know why, but I only use Toontrack EZKeys (and a bit of EZMix). Until now didn’t jump at their bass or drums. 

You can get a nice workflow going when you start with a groove on EZkeys that you like, then generate accompanying bass MIDI on another track by dragging the keys MIDI into EZbass, and finally use "Bandmate" in EZdrummer 3 to match up a beat by dragging in the keys or bass MIDI. :)

• Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, abacab said:

You can get a nice workflow going when you start with a groove on EZkeys that you like, then generate accompanying bass MIDI on another track by dragging the keys MIDI into EZbass, and finally use "Bandmate" in EZdrummer 3 to match up a beat by dragging in the keys or bass MIDI. :)

Indeed, was thinking about that. But I’m a miserable bass player and an even more miserable drummer. You gotta get the feel. I don’t seem to. So keys it is. 

1 minute ago, Fleer said:

Indeed, was thinking about that. But I’m a miserable bass player and an even more miserable drummer. You gotta get the feel. I don’t seem to. So keys it is. 

The trick here is to just let EZbass and EZdrummer 3 find the "feel" to accompany the keys track. Just use your ears. :)

If it sounds good, it is good!

-VT

• Like 3