BUG: Clip Gain Automation Not Respected When Exporting with Ctrl + A

Wong Jian Ming

So the issue is that my clip gain automation/envelope is not being followed after exporting the track by using Ctrl + A to select all and then going into the export window to export the tracks. However, if I were to do a Ctrl + A and additionally re-highlighting all the tracks again by left clicking the track numbers for all the tracks, and then reslecting the time region on the top of the track window, the export will turn out fine.

The video below shows this issue:

Edited by Wong Jian Ming

I can't replicate this but there are too many unknowns in your routing and FX setup, and you're not showing the working case for comparison.

The track is outputting to a bus named Voice and Music which presumably outputs to Master, and then you're exporting buses, importing the Master bus render, and routing the new track through the Master bus again . Both the metered and audible level of the whole export appears to be matching the reduced level of the clip rather than the raw level which suggests the clip automation is being applied but something else is going on that's masking the change in level - my first guess would be compression/limiting on one or both of the buses but it's hard to say without looking over the whole project.

Try just bouncing the track directly to another track or soloing the track and exporting with Source = Tracks. And whether bouncing or exporting/importing, make sure the imported track is outputting direct to hardware main outs, bypassing the buses.

In any case, I think the method of selection is less important than the Source for the export.

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

I can't replicate this but there are too many unknowns in your routing and FX setup, and you're not showing the working case for comparison.

The track is outputting to a bus named Voice and Music which presumably outputs to Master, and then you're exporting buses, importing the Master bus render, and routing the new track through the Master bus again . Both the metered and audible level of the whole export appears to be matching the reduced level of the clip rather than the raw level which suggests the clip automation is being applied but something else is going on that's masking the change in level - my first guess would be compression/limiting on one or both of the buses but it's hard to say without looking over the whole project.

Try just bouncing the track directly to another track or soloing the track and exporting with Source = Tracks. And whether bouncing or exporting/importing, make sure the imported track is outputting direct to hardware main outs, bypassing the buses.

In any case, I think the method of selection is less important than the Source for the export.

Hey thanks for the reply.

This issue cannot be replicated easily without the other high latency plugins (RX9 and Noise removal plugins) on the other tracks, I believe this is causing some issues in Cakewalk to show up. 

The music track is going straight to the "Voice and Music" bus, which essentially is my supposed Master bus, but with only a limiter on it with 0 additional gain added. There is no FX added on the Master bus itself. The resultant waveform should look exactly like how the visual clip gain is showing in the track.

You can see me bouncing to track using different methods (region select, ctrl + a, with FX and no FX) which results in different outcomes. Note that there is no audio in the video.

Here's my hypothesis of what is happening:

• I've noticed that at times when using high latency plugins, the audio spectrum that visualizes what it is processing, does not match up to the audio that is currently playing back at that point in time. It is usually some time farther ahead.
  • As a result of the above, it could be that the very initial part of the clip gain automation has been ignored, and it only reads the clip gain changes that happens later in time, hence not registering the initial higher gain automation.
  • Just not sure why using the different methods of selection will result in differing outcomes on export.
Edited by Wong Jian Ming

As I recall there have been cases in the past where high PDC latency could cause sync errors with automation, but I don't know that any of that is persisting; I'll try to check. But it appears the second time you bounce with Ctrl+A and FX enabled, the 'Teaser' track was not soloed as it was previously. So the 'Entire Mix' is including other tracks and it's not clear what the waveform should look like.

I'm  still not able to reproduce a problem with high PDC and/or differing selection methods. The only anomaly I'm seeing is that the attenuation of the waveform previewed in the clip with the clip gain envelope is not accurate; the height of the waveform in the attenuated area is much lower than it should be everywhere. Right offhand I'd guess this is because a simple graphical scaling factor is being applied based on the visual height of the envelope rather than calculating the amplitude per the logarithmic dB scale.

Whatever you have going on there seems to be project-specific.