"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (just guitar & vocal)

Will

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

Unfortunately, there are a lot of open chords on guitar that you just can't do in a different key, so I couldn't play this in a lower key, and it's really too high for me to sing. One day I'd like to get a baritone guitar just for these situations. So just consider this a rehearsal recording to get the arrangement down. It's a bit sloppy, but it gets the thought across, and that's all that matters right now. When I get a baritone guitar, I'll worry then about doing a proper recording. And I'll probably do away that solo guitar part. It's just not working.

The acoustic guitar is straight to the board with an LR Baggs Anthem pickup system. Doesn't sound quite as nice as my external mics, but it's not bad at all.

• Like 3

Excellent arrangement and recording Will. I think your vocals and guitar sound great together.
That LR Baggs system sounds very natural.

Will be interested to hear the baritone guitar version when you do one.

BTW this time I am only listening to one song at a time and I'm sober ☺️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SPAK said:

Love the new handle m8 ...cool playing

I almost PM'ed you to see if you'd want to sing it. I knew I couldn't get it right in this key, and your high lonesome voice would be perfect for this song. You should come up with a rendition of it yourself sometime.

• Haha 1

By the way, I heard Bernadette Peters do a beautiful slow version of this song on the Tonight Show decades ago, and all these years I never forgot it. It's what made me want to try and do something with the song. Someone uploaded her singing it at YT. If you haven't heard it, it's a treat.

9 hours ago, Will Hackett said:

I almost PM'ed you to see if you'd want to sing it. I knew I couldn't get it right in this key, and your high lonesome voice would be perfect for this song. You should come up with a rendition of it yourself sometime.

Little terror ... I would struggle with this key as well! (I think you done it proud)  Maybe I'll try with some tight pants ...could work. BTW I gave it a try but you seem to have put an extra verse in @V2 ?

Love your stuff Will

All the best Steve

Edited by SPAK
Addae a bit

See, I knew this would work for you.  There must be a hundred different ways to arrange this song, all of them equally good. I don't think any of us will ever beat Bernadette's version though. It was perfection. I cam only hope to do one that won't get me boo'ed off the stage. ^_^

There were always four verses in this song. Some people take one out when they sing it. I don't know why. I think all the verses are beautiful. Word is that Williams bought them from some guy in Kentucky though.

Edited by Will Hackett
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 8:35 AM, ZincT said:

Excellent arrangement and recording Will. I think your vocals and guitar sound great together.
That LR Baggs system sounds very natural.

Will be interested to hear the baritone guitar version when you do one.

BTW this time I am only listening to one song at a time and I'm sober ☺️

Sober ain't no way to listen to my singing son. :P

You make it work well for you.  Sounds great, both guitar & vocal. 😀

BTW-Thanks so much also for the Johnny Carson footage.  I long so much for the days when late night talk shows were just that-Talk, without the damned political BS and unfunny monologues by unfunny people.

😀John B.