Load Balancing not working/huge load on core 1

lowkey

Hello! I have a 4ghz AMD quad core, 8gb ram & Windows 10 64 bit. 

CPU core 1 seems to be carrying the majority of the load. In fact, I can easily push it so high it causes crackles & dropouts. The other 3 are barely used at all. I tried enabling Plugin Load Balancing, but CW goes crazy with crackles & dropouts. I tried every audio driver mode with the same results. I also get the same results regardless of what audio interface I use. I have several & tried them all in every mode to no avail, and Load Balancing makes CW unusable.

I'd be happy if I could get Plugin Load Balancing to work, or any other method to take some load off core 1. 

I got it sorted shortly after posting. I was running Akai MPC Software as a plugin, and if that plugin was set to use any more than 1 core, Load Balancing was terrible. I set it to use 1 core, then Load balancing worked as intended. Hopefully this can help someone.

• Thanks 1

• Not all processes in a DAW can be multi-threaded (spread across multiple cores).
  • Some virtual-instruments (like UVI Falcon) don't make use of multiple cores.
  • Playing/monitoring in realtime thru an AmpSim plugin using a 32-sample ASIO buffer size is not something that can be heavily multi-threaded.

For these and other similar reasons, it's not always possible to have completely balanced load between cores.

This is why CPU clock-speed is still the single most important factor when it comes to DAW performance.

More cores is certainly beneficial... but not at the expense of significant clock-speed.