Boz Gatey-Watey 19$

Paul P

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

True, but last I checked I was thinking the "local" ilok manager requires deactivation from the PC.  So if that HD fails for some reason, you just lost hundreds, or thousands worth of virtual gear.  

And yes, I can't see any possible scenario where I'd pay for a Slate like system.  You can't resale Slate either??  

Haven't tried. Kept hoping for machine auth.

Most (all of mine?) plugins that use machine auth. permit 2 or 3 activations, enough to get you going on a replacement PC before trying to get the used activation back.

5 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Haven't tried. Kept hoping for machine auth.

Most (all of mine?) plugins that use machine auth. permit 2 or 3 activations, enough to get you going on a replacement PC before trying to get the used activation back.

Right most permit 2-3 authorizaitons.  However, iLok in theory you don't get that "lost authorization" back if the HD fails since there is no on-line deauthorizatoin available like other providers offer (XLN Audio is one example).  

I personally use 2-3 authorizations in my environment, thus losing an authorization outright equals a decision to either pay for more or switch to a provider without such problems.  Thus why I tend to never use iLok applications unless I feel there is a real need to, and that is fairly rare.  

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

However, iLok in theory you don't get that "lost authorization" back if the HD fails since there is no on-line deauthorizatoin available...

I don't think that is correct.  Not an iLok fan - but I recently de-authorized my SoundToys plugins on a PC and freed up an Activation slot.  I now have 1 of 2 available...  Unless I am mis-remembering and SoundToys gives you 3 Activations. (??)

20 hours ago, mibby said:

I don't think that is correct.  Not an iLok fan - but I recently de-authorized my SoundToys plugins on a PC and freed up an Activation slot.  I now have 1 of 2 available...  Unless I am mis-remembering and SoundToys gives you 3 Activations. (??)

All 7 of mine say 2 activations and there does not appear to be an option to deactivate On-Line.

Yes, you can deactivate on a working machine, but the point being if that machine does down, there is not option to then free up that seat via the portal (from what I see).  Thus you lose a seat if your HD fails, unlike many other plugin providers.

I do recall a long time ago that ilok would let you lose and replace your dongle liscence once a year at a max, but I'm not sure if that applies to the local authorization as well.  

Edited by Brian Walton