When switching HP on in ProCh. EQ I get boost in volume - a bug?

Wojtek Stecyszyn

Question

Hi there

Can anyone be so kind and explain me why by just turning on the HP filter on ProChanell EQ it gives boost around 1dB?

Please try this and say if you get same result:

Load a mastered track (loud one).

Only EQ is on. No other plugins. Just empty EQ and HP is set on smallest value both frequency and slope. Play a track and toggle between HP on/off and watch the meters. Sometimes smaller value but sometimes up to 1dB is boosted. I can even scope with HP up to 400 Hz and it still boost the meter higher than without HP.

It happens only on mastered tracks and not on tracks that are lower in vol.

Please watch the video:

Feel invited to listen to my music. All made in CbB :)

https://www.facebook.com/wojciech.stecyszyn

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

7 answers to this question

I'm not saying you shouldn't worry about it; I'm just saying it's not a bug. Any time you apply processing to a signal, especially anything not designed to have linear phase response, you need to watch the level of the output. Try a different EQ that's not linear phase, and you will likely get a similar result.

A quick Google found this:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-why-does-using-high-pass-filter-make-things-seem-louder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And you should always have a peak limiter on the master anyway so little things like that really won’t matter. I use the Loud Max set at -1.0 db. It seems to be the most transparent and effective.  Then I use the You Lean loudness meter and Span to analyze it. 
I personally expect anything I toss in the signal path to have some sort of interference with the audio. That’s why I don’t go crazy with effects. 

Edited by Cactus Music

What David said. 

Also, you're putting an EQ after the limiter on an already "Mastered" track as you've said.  So there are no ceiling to limit these spikes.  

Then of course: In order to use the pro channel EQ you have to engage the Pro Channnel, which is moduled after real console channels. So you will always have a slightly boost in +dB. 

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

Phase shifts caused by non-linear-phase EQing (or other processing) can cause peaks to change by small amounts. Put a loudness meter in the bin, or just switch the meter to RMS, and I doubt you will see an increase anywhere.

I tried few loudness meters, I tried RMS but none of it makes any difference - still after switching HP on I get this boost.

So what are you trying to explain me is that I should not worry about this?  Do I understand it well?

It is normal? Do you have the same? 

What about situation when I have mastered track loaded and I want to treat it with HP filter?  Yes I will have less low end but also at the same time boost in volume till its clipping.  Should it be this way? 

I get in now.

Thanks guys for help.

8 hours ago, bdickens said:

I thought that "mastering" was the final step....

It all started with my brand new project template, where I decided to have my ProChanell prepared with HP on waiting for me. Then I wanted to cut 26 second out of my mastered track for FB story promo and I've noticed red light on my meters :) I will update my track template and turn HP off and  will remember this lesson. Thanks again

One last  thing:

If you have spare minutes during the day

please  listen to my music. All made in CbB  :) 

https://www.facebook.com/wojciech.stecyszyn