Korg nanoKONTROL2 - not a clue

When it comes to midi I either understand it right away or can never seem to figure it out. I just might be a MIDIdiot.

I have tried every possible method I can find in forums and in videos. Nothing is working. I don't even know if I'm in CC Mode. I need help right from the beginning. I've tried Mackie Control, MMcL Mackie Control #1, ACT, Generic surface. My goal is to control volume, expression and vibrato in various Spitfire programs. Some use Kontakt and other use Spitfire's own interface. That is probably not as important as just understanding the very basic step by step procedures.

If some people can help me, I would very much appreciate it.

• Like 1

If you just want to use the nanoKONTROL 2 for controlling synth/effect parameters, you don't want the Mackie Control surface added in Cakewalk.  The Mackie Control surface is designed for transport / fader / pan control, and not for generic control.

To put the nanoKONTROL 2 in to CC mode:

1. Disconnect the nanoKONTROL 2
2. Hold down the SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons
3. While still holding down the above buttons, plug the nanoKONTROL 2 back in and keep the buttons held for a few seconds

Next add the nanoKONTROL as an ACT control surface within Preferences->Control Surfaces.
You'll need to then go to Utilties->ACT MIDI Controller to tell Cakewalk what controls are available, and save this as a preset.  Details on how to do this are here:  

You can map specific controls in a plugin using ACT learn on the Plugin UI:

BTW I use the Nano Kontrol for CC it works well. The msmcleod info above looks good. Sometimes though all I want is one control change. For that it is easier just to insert it into the event list.

I also made a map of my Kontrol setup and made it my backround on one of my monitors so it is always available. Make sure it is listed as one of the devices in the midi device list & make sure it is included as an input on the track you are recording on.

I do sometimes have crashes if the cable is loose however. I don't use it much but as I recall I can't use Cakewalk & the Kontrol editor at the same time.

Thank you, msmcleod. Still not working, but there is slight progress.

I finally see the nanoKontrol in the ACT Midi controller. I have been holding down the Cycle Set buttons for 10 seconds. This time I did it for 20 seconds and it worked.

In the Utilities do I select default or Korg MicroKontrol, since there isn't a nanoKontrol?

I can't get any of the faders or rotary knobs to work in any midi programs. I followed your directions many times and still nothing is working. I tried midi learn and I tried without midi learn without success.

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you just want to use the nanoKONTROL 2 for controlling synth/effect parameters, you don't want the Mackie Control surface added in Cakewalk.  The Mackie Control surface is designed for transport / fader / pan control, and not for generic control.

To put the nanoKONTROL 2 in to CC mode:

1. Disconnect the nanoKONTROL 2
2. Hold down the SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons
3. While still holding down the above buttons, plug the nanoKONTROL 2 back in and keep the buttons held for a few seconds

Next add the nanoKONTROL as an ACT control surface within Preferences->Control Surfaces.
You'll need to then go to Utilties->ACT MIDI Controller to tell Cakewalk what controls are available, and save this as a preset.  Details on how to do this are here:  

You can map specific controls in a plugin using ACT learn on the Plugin UI:

OT, but is that Fast Biker Boy making a drive-by appearance?

I deleted the Korg nanoKontrol in Device Manager. That helped. Now I move the sliders and things work.

What I still can’t figure out is Slider 2. It has a mind of its own. When I’m in Kontakt/Spitfire Solo Strings I want the second slider to control the vibrato. It is controlled by the 3rd slider. Slider 2 controls close and far mics. Shouldn’t I be to control that?

It depends on what CC the slider is sending and what the contact instrument is setup to listen for. You can use the Korg utility to tell the controller which CCs to output on what physical controller. Then in Kontakt you need to know or map the things you want to control to be mapped by the CC being sent out by the controller.

For example:

Usually CC2 is used for dynamics in instruments like strings and orchestra. So on your Korg controller whichever physical knob or slider is setup to send CC2 would control the dynamics in a loaded Kontakt instrument that has CC2 mapped to dynamics.

So, with all your help I have things running.  Actually, for the first time I can remember, a Windows update didn’t cause issue but solved some of mine.

I kept restarting the computer without successful results and then a Win 11 update gave me control of the nanoKontrol.

something that bothers me in Kontakt is that when I stop the engine and it returns to my starting position the dynamics volume is set to 0. When I hit play the volume returns. Is there a way to stop this?

• Like 1

I'm about to give up. I get everything working. I put the computer to sleep. Nothing works. Then I get the Spitfire app to work, but Kontakt does nothing. I turn the computer off and nothing works. I then disconnect the nanoKontrol2, connect with cycle and set Marker pressed for 10 or so seconds and absolutely nothing works. When I open the Korg Kontrol Editor, the icon for the nanoKontrol2 appears and I connect with it. Still, nothing works

Just so you know the nanoKontrol's light is on and the Kontrol Editor recognizes it. When it was working, I was able to configure it to do almost everything I wanted it to do with multiple programs. Put the computer to sleep or turn it off and now nothing.

Am I missing something very basic. Even though I am able to control external synthesizers midi is a black hole for me. Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...