Age of GTR plug-ins.

Starship Krupa

On 8/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, Starship Krupa said:

I always go direct with bass. The tone I'm trying to nail right now is B.B. Dickason's on War's "The World is a Ghetto" (and "Cisco Kid" from the same album).

The attack, the low end growl when he launches into the chorus. I suspect that it's a cranked Ampeg B15, but I'm not sure. It's difficult to find a plug-in that will do the low end growl very well. the best results I've gotten so far are with elysia mpressor first to get the attack, then Bass Professor Mk II for some multiband compression, then Black Box HG for the growl.

I listened to this album over and over again when it came out. This bass sound is also what I go for when I record my songs. I never noticed a 'growl' that you talk about until you said something about it!! And during the chorus there is definitely a growl. but nothing overpowering, which makes it fantastic sounding. 

Other bass sounds I try to go for is The Hunt, Whipping Post, Bad Company, of course Waitin' For The Bus

and No Sugar, Low Spark ( I could go on and on!!)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I tried the various "free" ones that came with SONAR over the years (Guitar Rig, ReValver) and never got anything I liked, so I stuck with my aging POD Pro.  Then I found the Blue Cat Free Amp and got some sounds I liked a bit, but not too much, and Nomad Factory Rock Amp Legeds, but I still wasn't really happy, so wasn't actually playing much guitar.

Then I tried something that @Lord Tim suggested in a thread on the forum somewhere/somewhen and started to like the "free" TH3 that came with SPlat (IIRC), so I updated to TH-U and I'm really finding I can get the kind of sounds I want now (most of the time anyway) - I do combine it with Valhalla's Shimmer Reverb for what is becoming my "go to" lead sound.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 4:43 PM, Grem said:

This bass sound is also what I go for when I record my songs. I never noticed a 'growl' that you talk about until you said something about it!! And during the chorus there is definitely a growl. but nothing overpowering, which makes it fantastic sounding.

It's one of those "now that I've heard it things," right? I've spent a lot of time listening to the first time B.B. launches into it before the vocals join the chorus. My guess is Ampeg B15, and it's a combination of playing through a 12W tube head into a single 15" speaker. Some of the growl may be speaker fart and/or power stage distortion. A hard knee compressor set to a slow enough attack to let the string pluck through. The compressor could also be causing some of that growl, I'm still analyzing it.

While amp and cab sims abound, I have yet to see anyone claim to be able to model speaker cone breakup. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't happening, I just haven't noticed it. I don't know if that's something an IR impulse could capture?

• Like 1