Opposites

bjornpdx

Opposites

Sung in the vocal styling of Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits and other bad singers.
I've come to terms with my singing - it pretty much sucks. But I like to write lyrics that are meaningful to me so I want to tell the story myself.

Thanks for listening.

• Great Idea 1

Hi, Bjorn,

Nice job on this classic sounding folk song!  It sort of reminds me of late 60's-early 70's coffee house folk stuff, like Donovan, Cat Stevens, Dylan, Harry Chapin, etc.

I have to disagree with your assessment of your vocal ability, your voice on this sounds really pleasant and heartfelt, which gets the message of the song across nicely.  Just for the record, I always enjoy your cool instrumentals, too!😀

Anyway, cool song, Bjorn, good stuff!👍

Have a good one!
Bob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hi, Bjorn,

Nice job on this classic sounding folk song!  It sort of reminds me of late 60's-early 70's coffee house folk stuff, like Donovan, Cat Stevens, Dylan, Harry Chapin, etc.

I have to disagree with your assessment of your vocal ability, your voice on this sounds really pleasant and heartfelt, which gets the message of the song across nicely.  Just for the record, I always enjoy your cool instrumentals, too!😀

Anyway, cool song, Bjorn, good stuff!👍

Have a good one!
Bob

This.  Good job.

• Like 1

Bob
Thanks. You're always that shot in the arm with your nice comments. Yeah, late 60's early 70's music is where I still am I guess. You know,  back when music was good.  😀

martins and amiller
thanks for listening and commenting.

• Like 2

If this is a cover who did the original? If it's original it's a great song with a great message.  Great sound out of (what sounds like) a 12 string acoustic. And your voice DOES sound good.  Nice to know that not all of us are of the belief that you have to be a Pavarotti to post your (vocal) music here.

I appreciate your being unapologetic about your voice. 

🙂John B.

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

Thanks John.
The song is original. As to my voice, what you hear is the result of hours of piecing together many takes, Melodyne corrections (as much as possible), Izotope mouth de-clicking and then toning down all the hard consonants (which software can't do.)

The guitar is NI Strumming Gtr and I think it was 12 string.  Not near my computer at the moment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bjornpdx said:

Thanks John.
The song is original. As to my voice, what you hear is the result of hours of piecing together many takes, Melodyne corrections (as much as possible), Izotope mouth de-clicking and then toning down all the hard consonants (which software can't do.)

Sounds a lot like  my modus operandi.

😀JB

• Like 1

This is a beautiful song Bjorn.  It just radiates honesty and emotion.  The lyrics are great and the performance does indeed complement and convey the honesty and emotion of the lyrics.  Your vocals are perfectly suited for this song.  Your love one must really appreciate this song.  All-in-all, I would say that you did one terrific job on this number.

• Like 1

I like the simplicity and your vocal stylings are uber authentic. In fact in a three part mix (rhythm guitar, lead guitar noodle, and vocal) I'd want this vocal mixed a bit more out in front. 

You might add a measure of silence to your song file, it starts immediately with a strum and old guys like me get all dyspeptic when that happens :)

nice tune Bjorn!

-Tom

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, bjornpdx said:

Opposites

Sung in the vocal styling of Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits and other bad singers.
I've come to terms with my singing - it pretty much sucks. But I like to write lyrics that are meaningful to me so I want to tell the story myself.

Thanks for listening.

Bjorn, stop it!

We never say "we suck,"

We say, "I do my thang, my way...damn to the detractors. I shall not be one, especially unto myself (Which you did say, but not until after you said you suck.)

I suggest to leave the suck part out, you will meet more folks just like you.

Great simple tune, with meaning.

Edited by Jesse Screed
to clarify
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:02 AM, emeraldsoul said:

I like the simplicity and your vocal stylings are uber authentic. In fact in a three part mix (rhythm guitar, lead guitar noodle, and vocal) I'd want this vocal mixed a bit more out in front. 

You might add a measure of silence to your song file, it starts immediately with a strum and old guys like me get all dyspeptic when that happens :)

nice tune Bjorn!

-Tom

I agree with Tom, I couldn't have said it better.  Your work and effort shine here so hit us in the face!  Carry on, bro...

• Like 1