UJAM Virtual Drummer 2.0

cclarry

3 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

I think JamStix is the top drum VST in the market. 

Agreed. But make no mistake, there is a learning curve!! And at times it's a hard turn too!! :)

As far as the sound of JS, I have got to liking them in certain songs. Well the Bonzo kit anyway.

And learning which 'Style' to bring up so that you can make your own beat (IOW kick 1 & 3, Snr 2 & 4) then taking that simple beat, altering the timing/power adjustments in the bar menu controls, and adjusting the amount of swing with the Swing menu, there ain't a beat it can't lock into. 

Once you got the beat with the feel/groove you need/want, save that as a Style. Then take your new style and create a songs!! With into, verse, bridge, breaks all created for you!! It really is a fantastic drummer.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, msmcleod said:

Although my main drum VSTi is AD2 (along with JamStix), I still use AIR Strike 2 as my go to "jamming" drummer.

Did you ever have any luck getting any MIDI patterns from Strike 2 into your DAW project? Any attempts that I made to capture a performance as MIDI data in the plugin ended up with unpredictable results, including some extra bars  when exported to a DAW. Other AIR users have reported having similar issues

• Like 1

Just now, abacab said:

Did you ever have any luck getting any MIDI patterns from Strike 2 into your DAW project? Any attempts that I made to capture a performance as MIDI data in the plugin ended up with unpredictable results, including some extra bars  when exported to a DAW. Other AIR users have reported having similar issues

I think "luck" is the operative word here!

Yes, it's pretty unpredictable. 

What I tend to do is just record the pitch bend & modulation, leaving Strike 2 as it is with its internal sounds.

I only ever really use it as an interim solution just to get the song going. For this, it's very good.

If I end up liking the song, I'll usually replace it with AD2, where I'll either play the part myself, or use Jamstix.

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I think "luck" is the operative word here!

Yes, it's pretty unpredictable. 

What I tend to do is just record the pitch bend & modulation, leaving Strike 2 as it is with its internal sounds.

I only ever really use it as an interim solution just to get the song going. For this, it's very good.

If I end up liking the song, I'll usually replace it with AD2, where I'll either play the part myself, or use Jamstix.

There is one thing have I never tried that might work, and that is recording the audio tracks from Strike 2 in Cakewalk as you live jam with it, and then use Drum Replacer to detect the transients in the audio drum tracks, and use those as MIDI note events to trigger AD2.

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

There is one thing have I never tried that might work, and that is recording the audio tracks from Strike 2 in Cakewalk as you live jam with it, and then use Drum Replacer to detect the transients in the audio drum tracks, and use those as MIDI note events to trigger AD2.

I did try that, as the audio dragging actually works pretty well. I found however, that the dynamics were kinda lost in the detection - i.e. there was very little variation in velocity in the end result.

If I do find myself liking the performance, even though the MIDI dragging is somewhat hit & miss, there's usually enough of it to cut & paste a part together.

To be honest though, I'm confused as to why some drum VSTi's have this crazy drag/drop facility - why not just provide the VSTi with a MIDI output?

Edited by msmcleod

31 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I did try that, as the audio dragging actually works pretty well. I found however, that the dynamics were kinda lost in the detection - i.e. there was very little variation in velocity in the end result.

If I do find myself liking the performance, even though the MIDI dragging is somewhat hit & miss, there's usually enough of it to cut & paste a part together.

To be honest though, I'm confused as to why some drum VSTi's have this crazy drag/drop facility - why not just provide the VSTi with a MIDI output?

I was actually referring to just recording the audio outputs from the plugin, live recording the audio outputs into DAW tracks, and skipping the drag/drop action completely.

Yes, I have seen other requests for live MIDI output from Strike. That was a missed opportunity!