It Ain't Over Til It's Over (Lenny Kravitz cover featuring Twisted6s on vocals)

markno999

Cover of the 1991 song, "It Ain't Over Til It's Over",  written and produced by Lenny Kravitz.    Did this one a few years back without vocals and contacted Tony (Twisted6s) on the old Cakewalk forum, and he graciously agreed to sing it.   Most of the vocals including all backing vocals are him.   There are a few parts where I blended in East West Background Singers but the vast majority of the vocals are Tony.   He did a really nice job on this now classic.    

I played guitar and bass but ended up replacing the bass with IK MODO Bass because I couldn't dial in the sound I was looking for.   Drums are Superior Drummer 3 Dry Seventies preset, keyboards are Arturia, Sitar and horns are just from NI Kontakt.   I have heard the song is based from Earth Wind and Fire's "Way of the World"   I guess the chord progression is similar.  

https://soundclick.com/r/s8mc59

Regards

Edit-Used IK Multimedia "The One" and Master Match to self master this track.    First time using it but very impressed by the simplicity and results of Master Match.

Edited by markno999
Addition
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 10:00 AM, Bajan Blue said:

well if you hadn't mentioned this was a Lenny Kravitz cover, I would never have guessed - definitely sounds more Motown than anything else!!

never heard the original, but like the sound of the cover

Good stuff

Nigel

Nigel,

Appreciate the  listen and comment.    Lenny does have a wide variety of music in his repertoire.   This one was very much influenced by EW&F and the cover is a bit more light than Lenny's version.    Glad you liked it.

Regards

On 8/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Dream Art Scientists said:

Yes, sounds quite motown to me as well. If I heard this on the radio, I would guess probably an old motown song or maybe a song from the early 70's. It really has that kind of vibe. Nice job!

Thank you for the listen and comment Dream Art Scientists.   It is a bit lighter than the original version so perhaps more Motown than pop rock.   Have always been partial to that genre.   Funny I never thought of it as Motown"ish" until mentioned by several listeners.  I guess you hear a song so many times one can become somewhat blind.   Thanks for the listen and glad you enjoyed it.

Regards

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, Old Joad said:

Cool song, I like the vocal. 70's vibe is right on the money✌🏼️

Old Joad - Thanks for the listen and comment.   Grew up in the 70's so probably gravitate to that style.  Just hope leisure suits and checkers don't come back in fashion anytime soon:)

Regards

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2022 at 1:00 AM, PavlovsCat said:

Great job on the playing and vocals. 

Thank you, appreciate it.   Was a fun track to do and the singer is quite talented.     He used to post on the old forum, don't think he made the transition to the new forum.

Regards

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:42 PM, markno999 said:

the singer is quite talented.

Understatement of the year.  😊

I've missed hearing Tony's work here as it was always top notch.

Listening on lappy speakers only, but even so the mix comes across very well.

On 9/14/2022 at 6:42 AM, paulo said:

Understatement of the year.  😊

I've missed hearing Tony's work here as it was always top notch.

Listening on lappy speakers only, but even so the mix comes across very well.

Paulo,

Thanks for the listen.   Yes, there are a lot of talented people that dropped off the old forum or didn't make the transition to the new forum, too many to mention.   Tony was definitely one of those, other than some compression and reverb, that was his performance, didn't tune or tweak anything.

Regards

• Like 1