Project files have randomly moved, how to protect them?

KSband

I just went to open an old project and it was not on the list. Went to the cakewalk project folder and some are missing, others are in subfolders and so not detected I guess. Could my computer have moved them around with a defragment/optimize?  I'm not super computer smart, just good enough to get by. What is the best way to backup and protect my projects?

A defrag/optimize would not move files around from the user point of view. Don't know how they would have moved but it is usually user error on our part that things like this happen. A unintended mouse click or keystroke sequence is what I have seen on my part.

Edited by reginaldStjohn

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea, it's weird. I found the missing ones inside of the folder of another project. It's not real clear how to sperate them back out, so for now I left them in there. I'm going to buy an external drive to back them up on.  Have to decide between Hdd or Sdd.

If it's what I think you mean...

I would open that main & shared file project, re-save them each using 'copy audio with project' into their own/ new project folder. (actually I would check all your projects & save them this way)  Keep/ backup that project in case there's other projects that might have any shared files in it.

Also check & backup the Global Audio folder If you use that or if there are any unknown audio files in it.

I usually backup to several external HD's (doesn't need to be SSD) & DVD's, sometimes flash drives too..

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 1

Ok thanks, I see it there. I always save the projects the first time as "save as" with a name.  I see some things under utilities " consolidate project audio" and  "clean audio folder"  I don't know what that does but should research it.

31 minutes ago, KSband said:

Ok thanks, I see it there. I always save the projects the first time as "save as" with a name.  I see some things under utilities " consolidate project audio" and  "clean audio folder"  I don't know what that does but should research it.

I'd be very careful with using that option ( Clean audio folder) until you understand it. If not set correctly you might remove needed files. I think it was updated a few years back so maybe it's better now..

When I finalize a project I do another 'Save as'  into a totally new folder. All the files used in the project will be saved into the 'Audio' folder inside that project folder. Like cleaning deleted unused files in the project won't be saved, saves space.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 1