Cakewalk Playback Sounds Change When Playing Recoded Sound

Supunthaka Sashintha

Question

Pleas Help !! 

I have already attached Playback and Recording Settings Screen Here.

When i record the music on my USB microphone it will monitor good sounds and operate well with it but when It Comes to Play it will generate alvin Sound (sound got totally change instead of recorded sound). This is the issue while I'm facing Now. Please let me know the configuration changes to solve the issue.

Best Regards

Capture.JPG

5 answers to this question

USB mikes that don’t come with ASIO drivers rarely work with Cakewalk. They are designed for Podcasting not recording. Even if it works the tracks will record very late on the timeline. 
Best bet is to try WASAPI mode and see it sounds better. But in the end if you are wishing to record vocals or guitar you will need a proper audio interface and mike. 

On 8/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, Cactus Music said:

USB mikes that don’t come with ASIO drivers rarely work with Cakewalk. They are designed for Podcasting not recording.

Isn't podcasting "recording?"

I don't think there's anything inherent to a mic with a built-in USB interface that makes it unsuitable for recording with Cakewalk. Whether it ships with an ASIO driver or not. The biggest drawback to them is that they lack versatility. They're only good for recording one track at a time.

I have no experience with microphones with built-in USB interfaces. But even the cheapest, weirdest bits of USB-enabled hardware I do have, such as my 15 year old Behringer iAxe guitar, can use WASAPI at usable latency.

I'm with you that we could provide better help if we knew what model of mic this is. Also that clock rate is a prime suspect. If it's doing a chipmunk voice, that's usually a 1:2 rate difference between recording and playback. Recording at 48K and playing back at 96K.

The OP first needs to switch Driver Mode from WDM/KS to WASAPI if it's a cheaper mic that didn't come with ASIO drivers. If that by itself doesn't cure the problem, then go to Windows Control Panel (type Control Panel in the search bar down at the bottom), then select Sound. Click on the Playback and Recording devices tabs and then Properties/Advanced, and make sure that the rate settings for your recording (the mic) and playback (computer speakers or whatever) are the same. My guess is that the mic will perform best at 48,000Hz, but 44,100Hz may also work.

Then double check that Cakewalk is also set to record at that rate and all should be well.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:00 PM, Cactus Music said:

USB mikes that don’t come with ASIO drivers rarely work with Cakewalk. They are designed for Podcasting not recording. Even if it works the tracks will record very late on the timeline. 

This is highly incorrect. I have 4 USB mics and two 3.5mm jack mics that works 100% perfectly with CbB without the "Late recording" issue you're mentioning in my laptop with Asio4All with Windows 10.  I have never had an issue with these mics. Shockingly some of these are in the same ballpark as my 2 phantom mics. 

I use the usb mics on preamps and for backing vocals sometimes even on drums because they sound much cleaner and fuller. Each frequency at 20hz - 20khz. 

Just two weeks ago I captured the room reverb of my kitchen with a $30 M800 and a no name $20 podcast mic both with a 3.5mm jack and used it in a track. The reverb came out sounding sweet like a "Vocal Room Plate." 

Edited by Will.