Tracktion Waveform 12 Free - now available

abacab

18 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I think it all comes down to workflow. I know Reaper is efficient but my brain seems more in tune with SO and CbB 😃

100% ... I was happy as a pig in s*1t :D using away CW but circumstances with other APPLE band members arose which forced having to consider a cross platform app. Reaper in this case for us. The fact once could use that for a while gratis to test and then the buy in price was very manageable for all ($60 ) was a huge plus. It didnt clash with different band members individual financials. Was not a hard sell.

If CW was cross platform THAT would have been it hands down

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

If CW was cross platform THAT would have been it hands down

They tried once with a Mac port, even while still backed by Gibson. But that project was too difficult for the cost/benefit apparently. Never got past an alpha demo...

Cakewalk is heavily dependent to its core on Microsoft code libraries, a heritage of being an early player on the PC platform. Some of the newer DAW players were coded from the ground up for their source code to be compiled for other systems.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, abacab said:

I dragged a 4-bar pattern from AD2 over to a Waveform track, and then used File > "Export: Render to a file",  and successfully exported a wave, flac, and MP3 file.

What settings were you using? I took the defaults...

When I open AD2 in Waveform it doesn't render properly. The GUI is shifted down in the frame and I can't select anything.

28 minutes ago, rsinger said:

When I open AD2 in Waveform it doesn't render properly. The GUI is shifted down in the frame and I can't select anything.

Weird! Are you using any Windows scaling with your monitor? The AD2 GUI is now scalable from within the AD2 plugin settings, 50%-200%.

AD2 is displaying just fine here, either VST2 or VST3. I'm using the OpenGL acceleration option in AD2, with the latest Nvidia drivers and a 24" display at 1920 x 1024 HD native.

Edited by abacab

9 minutes ago, rsinger said:

I'll have to check I may have scaling. I played with it a bit. The VST 2 has a problem, the VST 3 is bad when it is installed and opens, but if I close it and reopen it it's fine, so I have a workaround. 

Make sure that you are running XLN's latest update. And that your video drivers are up to date.

Edited by abacab

37 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

I may try the free version for one of my new projects to see how it compares to Studio One and REAPER.

That's a tough call!

Waveform has always been a special teams player for me. A backup DAW for special projects and experiments.  I have run across a few Traction bugs over the years, especially with certain plugins. But I give huge credit to the very small and always determined Tracktion development team for pushing a DAW forward that is focused mainly on musicians, rather than engineers! YMMV. :)

Reaper is probably the most stable DAW I've experienced, with some of the best track routing features I have ever seen. But the workflow has cut it from my starting team. It's my backup when I can't accomplish something elsewhere. Always very reliable!

I am now seeing Studio One as my main go to these days, but with a fond spot for Cakewalk and Sonar, which after 20+ years, I just grab CbB first sometimes to try out an idea. Muscle memory, LOL. You are best when you use what works for YOU!. Don't listen to anyone else, especially me! 🤪

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, abacab said:

That's a tough call!

Waveform has always been a special teams player for me. A backup DAW for special projects and experiments.  I have run across a few Traction bugs over the years, especially with certain plugins. But I give huge credit to the very small and always determined Tracktion development team for pushing a DAW forward that is focused mainly on musicians, rather than engineers! YMMV. :)

Reaper is probably the most stable DAW I've experienced, with some of the best track routing features I have ever seen. But the workflow has cut it from my starting team. It's my backup when I can't accomplish something elsewhere. Always very reliable!

I am now seeing Studio One as my main go to these days, but with a fond spot for Cakewalk and Sonar, which after 20+ years, I just grab CbB first sometimes to try out an idea. Muscle memory, LOL. You are best when you use what works for YOU!. Don't listen to anyone else, especially me! 🤪

Same about REAPER and Studio One. I’ve been mostly using REAPER for a few months exclusively and now I’ve returned to Studio One and the whole workflow and user experience is MILES ahead... I’m not coming back unless I need very specific things done. 

I’ve tried Waveform a few times but I always got crashes, even with the stock plugins (😐) but 12 has a rewritten engine, so let’s see if it’s better.

I always keep CbB installed without using it, maybe a future update will convince me to give it a proper go!

Edited by Esteban Villanova

20 hours ago, abacab said:

Weird! Are you using any Windows scaling with your monitor? The AD2 GUI is now scalable from within the AD2 plugin settings, 50%-200%.

AD2 is displaying just fine here, either VST2 or VST3. I'm using the OpenGL acceleration option in AD2, with the latest Nvidia drivers and a 24" display at 1920 x 1024 HD native.

I do have scaling enabled. That maybe it. Omnisphere is messed up as well. I'll try again in a few years. 

• Haha 1

Mixcraft also costs peanuts, and it's very serviceable.

Get Home Studio for $10 from Steam right now, upgrade to Recording Studio for $40 bucks on their website!

Edited by daveiv
Recently, I was asked if I was going to fire an employee who made a mistake that cost the company $600,000. No, I replied, I just spent $600,000...
  • Like 1