Reflections of Twilight - Piano and strings - Updated

jwnicholson78

On 9/3/2022 at 12:04 AM, noynekker said:

Great sounding piece Jeff !  I listened on my small iLoud speaker and it comes across as a great and balanced piano sound. Never understood trying to get a "good" sound on teeny iPhone speakers, as you mention in your original post . . . maybe not engineered for high transient material like a piano ?

One thing I've always used to zero in on high transients is to turn on Cakewalk's Peak Marker (in the meter settings) . . . which seeks out and actually flags the rogue peaks . . . then you can go in and destroy them all as needed, and actually saves some time in finding them. Maybe this will help what you're hearing ?

Thanks so much.  I have always been impressed by how good professionally produced music sounds on pretty much everything. Sure, it's not as good on my phone as on my Beyer Dynamics , but it still sounds really good.  So I have this (maybe misguided notion) that if I can get something to sound good on my phone, I will have come a long way in mixing.  I have like 5 different sets pf speakers and headphone I listen to now when I'm working on a new song, and by far the hardest to get translation on are my phone, and super crappy set of $6 Panasonic headphones.

jeff

9 hours ago, markno999 said:

Jeff,

Really fine work.  The mix sounds good to me.    As others have mentioned, Soothe is a great solution for taming peaks.    You could also darken up your reverb but I think this updated track sounds good as is.

Regards

Thanks.  I've been reading a lot about Soothe.  My birthday is coming up.  I might have to give a few hints to my wife.... :)

Two thumbs up from another piano player/composer. Lovely chord voicings, changes, pacing and ambience. I'd look at lowering/compressing the velocity range to tame the energy in the piano harmonics, especially where you're grabbing a big handful of mid-high notes. The piano tone sounds great in general, though. What is it?

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, David Baay said:

Two thumbs up from another piano player/composer. Lovely chord voicings, changes, pacing and ambience. I'd look at lowering/compressing the velocity range to tame the energy in the piano harmonics, especially where you're grabbing a big handful of mid-high notes. The piano tone sounds great in general, though. What is it?

David,

Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback.  I'll check out your suggestions on compressing the velocity range.

The piano is the Grandeur from Native Instruments.

jeff

On 8/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, Chandler said:

Sounds good to me. The piano did stick out a bit in parts. If you are recording using midi, sometimes just reducing the level of the midi a bit can help. Turning down the midi velocity, but turning up the volume can make things smoothers. Also using a different mic can help. If you can do either of those because you recorded a live piano try using a dynamic EQ to tame the frequencies between 2khz-4khz. Every time it gets to harsh the dynamic EQ will bring that level down. 

What Chandler says on the velocity - definitely.

This is a beautiful composition 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, AndyB01 said:

Great job - I think I only heard the fixed version - very much in my zone and I very much enjoyed the listen. Only crit - too short  🙂

Andy

Really appreciate it. It took me forever to write this, otherwise it would have been longer ;)

jeff