Reflections of Twilight - Piano and strings - Updated

jwnicholson78

A short piece with piano and strings.

Any thoughts on how to tame some of the piano transients?  Some of them are very sharp, and when I listen on my phone I find it overloads the little speaker.  I don't want to squash the dynamic range, but I find I can't add anymore than a dB or so of compression with hating the sound of it. 

Update - it took me a while to get back to this, since  I was traveling last week.  I think a combination of narrow eq's to target some of the piano resonances along with some active eq using the really cool (and free!) TDR Nova has helped a lot.

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 7

enjoyed this and I also didn't notice the piano too much just occasionally perhaps - but if you worried about it did you try EQ - or there is a new Free Plug in that might help

https://freevstplugins.net/wavegrove-vastaus/

I only downloaded this a while ago and tried it on a few things - on some it did seem to make a difference - its a bit like Oeksound Soothe but considerably cheaper🤪

Nigel

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

enjoyed this and I also didn't notice the piano too much just occasionally perhaps - but if you worried about it did you try EQ - or there is a new Free Plug in that might help

https://freevstplugins.net/wavegrove-vastaus/

I only downloaded this a while ago and tried it on a few things - on some it did seem to make a difference - its a bit like Oeksound Soothe but considerably cheaper🤪

Nigel

Thanks!  I did spend a fair amount of time farting around with EQ but didn't really come up with anything I liked better.  Appreciate the suggestion.  I'll give it a try.

Pleasant composition, not sure if they are format compression artifices but I am getting a few complaints on my A7x's.

As suggest by Nigel try  a little EQ, if you have access to one you might even find an active EQ might be better or even multiband compression.

Sounds good to me. The piano did stick out a bit in parts. If you are recording using midi, sometimes just reducing the level of the midi a bit can help. Turning down the midi velocity, but turning up the volume can make things smoothers. Also using a different mic can help. If you can do either of those because you recorded a live piano try using a dynamic EQ to tame the frequencies between 2khz-4khz. Every time it gets to harsh the dynamic EQ will bring that level down. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, jwnicholson78 said:

A short piece with piano and strings.

Any thoughts on how to tame some of the piano transients?  Some of them are very sharp, and when I listen on my phone I find it overloads the little speaker.  I don't want to squash the dynamic range, but I find I can't add anymore than a dB or so of compression with hating the sound of it. 

Jeff

Sounds good to me.  I hear a couple of spots on the piano.  If you have Neutron 4, I bet it would highlight what frequencies are problematic.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.  The comments on active EQ were especially helpful.  I think a combination of some surgical EQ to tame some of the specific piano resonances, along with additional active EQ really helped.  Because of the suggestions, I ended up finding the really outstanding TDR Nova plugin which, as an added bonus, is free.

In addition, much to my chagrin, after many hours futzing around, I discovered that I had inadvertently enabled the eq on  the audio app that I use on my phone to listen to my tracks and that, too, was contributing to the piano resonances.  Whoops!  Wonder how much time I lost to that....

Hopefully folks think the new version is an improvement.

Jeff

Great sounding piece Jeff !  I listened on my small iLoud speaker and it comes across as a great and balanced piano sound. Never understood trying to get a "good" sound on teeny iPhone speakers, as you mention in your original post . . . maybe not engineered for high transient material like a piano ?

One thing I've always used to zero in on high transients is to turn on Cakewalk's Peak Marker (in the meter settings) . . . which seeks out and actually flags the rogue peaks . . . then you can go in and destroy them all as needed, and actually saves some time in finding them. Maybe this will help what you're hearing ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1