Katie (Tuning In)

Barry Seymour

Barry,

Nice track, I think your vocals sound good.    Your vocal delivery in this song reminds me a little of Joe Walsh.    Didn't hear the earlier versions but this one sounds pretty good.    Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

One option to side chaining to get your vocals to pop through is Trackspacer.  Super easy to implement, put your music on one Bus, vocals on another.  Trackspacer will duck everything in the EQ range of your vocals fairly transparently, and only during vocal parts.   https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/trackspacer/  Is only about $50 or $60 I think.

Regards  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markno999 said:

Barry,

Nice track, I think your vocals sound good.    Your vocal delivery in this song reminds me a little of Joe Walsh.    Didn't hear the earlier versions but this one sounds pretty good.    Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

One option to side chaining to get your vocals to pop through is Trackspacer.  Super easy to implement, put your music on one Bus, vocals on another.  Trackspacer will duck everything in the EQ range of your vocals fairly transparently, and only during vocal parts.   https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/trackspacer/  Is only about $50 or $60 I think.

Regards  

What does 'duck everything' mean?

5 minutes ago, Barry Seymour said:

what does 'duck everything' mean?

"reduce the level"
It was common practice in commercial radio, that the voice of the DJ reduced, "ducked", the music he was speaking over.
Evidently TrackSpacer is using some kind of multiband compression based on the vocal track to "make space" or "duck"
the rest of the mix. (hope I made that clear)

t

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

It was common practice in commercial radio, that the voice of the DJ reduced, "ducked", the music he was speaking over.

I used to work in radio. I often did just what you describe. But I never knew there was a term for it!

Learn something every day.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 6:00 PM, Barry Seymour said:

What does 'duck everything' mean?

Barry,

If you have TS set-up with separation of vocals and music bed, Trackspacer looks at the vocal frequencies and reduces those frequencies (whatever they are) in the music bed.    Could be any instrument in that frequency.    You dial the effect in so that the result is transparent, i.e. there isn't a noticable reduction in volume other than clearer more audible vocals.   You can use it for anything but it is terrific for vocals.    There was a video in the link above.   Here it is:

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 5:52 AM, Chandler said:

Sounds good to me. Reminds me of 70s rock. I really like the guitar solo as well. Nice and melodic. 

There's the old joke - "I like Chinese food... or, as they call it in China, 'food.'"

I'm a  70s guy. To me it doesn't sound like 70s music, it just sounds like music. 😁

Thanks for the kind words.