How to choose banks for midi switching connected gear from Cakewalk

Constantinos Mavroyannis

Question

i am having a hard time figuring out how to select different banks in my Axe FX III from Cakewalk. I can get it to switch PC 0-127 but i cant figure out how to go in higher banks. I have the instrument definition set to "normal" in Bank Select Methods (although i tried the other ones with no success) and i set this both in the event viewer in the actual commands and in the instrument definitions but it doesnt work. 

the settings in the pics still give me preset 060

any help?

2.png

1.png

Edited by Constantinos Mavroyannis

5 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Constantinos Mavroyannis said:

i am having a hard time figuring out how to select different banks in my Axe FX III from Cakewalk. I can get it to switch PC 0-127 but i cant figure out how to go in higher banks.

Does the AX FX III Manual tell you how how knows to switch banks? (I am assuming you want Cakewalk to switch banks in the Axe.)

Update: I found a manual on line. I hope its the right one.  (Current as of Axe-Fx III Firmware 20.x Original, Mark II, Standard and TURBO versions July 2022.)  Are you using its PC Mapping Mode?

The PC Mapping parameter on the General page of the MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP must be enabled for custom mapping to be in effect. With this option set to “ON”, an internal table re-maps each incoming MIDI Program Change message so it can load your choice of preset and scene. The map is limited to 128 entries so MIDI BANK SELECT messages are ignored while PC Mapping is enabled. [emphasis added]

Edited by User 905133
to fix a typo

3 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Does the AX FX III Manual tell you how how knows to switch banks? (I am assuming you want Cakewalk to switch banks in the Axe.)

yes it assigns a CC#0 value for the bank in conjunction with the regular 0-127 PC value for the preset for example it makes 0,5 to be preset #5 but 1,5 is preset #133.

from what i understand in cakewalk this cc value role is supposed to be the "bank" value you enter right above the patch number but it doesn't work

14 minutes ago, Constantinos Mavroyannis said:

yes it assigns a CC#0 value for the bank in conjunction with the regular 0-127 PC value for the preset for example it makes 0,5 to be preset #5 but 1,5 is preset #133.

from what i understand in cakewalk this cc value role is supposed to be the "bank" value you enter right above the patch number but it doesn't work

I will take a look since I am not familiar with that hardware or manufacturer. It used to be that both CC#00 and CC#32 needed to be sent followed by the Program Change (Preset) command. If someone else has specific, I will defer to them.  In the meantime, I will look through the manual.

UPDATE:  I see what you are saying.

its Presets are actually divided into banks of 128. To backup all of your presets, backup all of the banks: A (0–127), B (128-255), C (265–383) and D (384–511).

OK.  I see the table.  1, 0 = 128 etc. So, its the value of CC#0 * 127 + Program Change number.  Looks to me like CC#32 is ignored. 

Did you try selecting "Controller 0 only" for Instruments that only respond to Controller 0 bank select messages?    

Edited by User 905133
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Constantinos Mavroyannis said:

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!

1. PC Mapping needs to be turned off in the axe fx otherwise it ignores bank change commands

2. "Normal" mode is not the correct one. I had to select Controller 0 to work (at least with the axe fx. 

i now have access to all banks/presets

@User 905133 thanks for your help my friend

Congrats!!!!!  Enjoy.  Looks like a nice FX unit.

PS: Please mark the topic [SOLVED] .  Thx.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1